Ericamarie22's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Jan 22, 2009

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, thumbs up or thumbs down? I rated this novel with a thumbs down for several reasons. My reason consist of boring, difficult, and too much.

Starting off, I found this book boring. I just couldn't get into it. The parts about Miss Watson always telling Huck what to do, just didn't make me want to read more. Another part that i found boring was when Huck was supposed to run away. Instead he decided to play with his friends one last time. " Don't gap and stretch like that Huckleberry, why don't you behave" is an example of what Miss Watson says to Huck in the book.

Plus, The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn was difficult to read. The language used in the book was hard to comprehend with. I felt like I had to stop and read it over every five minutes. Just so I could understand what I was reading. For example "Yo' Ole Father doan ' know yit what hes a-gwyne to do" is what Jim says to Huckleberry. I found that hard to understand.

Lastly, the book had too much going on. There was more than one climax making the story confusing. It felt like every time something exciting happened, you thought it was the climax. But than something else more exciting came right after, and so on. When Huck was going to run away and his pap came, I thought that was going to be the climax. But than there was about three more climax's when pap takes huck to his home.

Summing up, those are my reasons for rating this book with a thumbs down. Now you read the book and decide what you want to rate it. Maybe you wont think it was boring, difficult or too much. Maybe you'll think its heartwarming, funny and easy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

message 1: by Daisuke (last edited Feb 09, 2009 06:00PM) (new)

Daisuke same here. im reading it for my AP literature class and I find this book extremely boring. the plot is confusing, lack of engaging details or tone, and like you said, the language is hard to comprehend with. Whenever Jim talks, I could barely understand what he's trying to say. But on the other hand, I like how Mark Twain puts the reader into the book, and I especially admire his use of imagery. so i rate it "one thumb down" for its boring plot, and confusing language. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone if they're looking for a "good read", but the book would serve a great reference when writing an essay or something.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve U Hello,

I'm not sure of how old you are. In today's world many of the youth did not go through the 60's and the issues with segregation. If you did not like HF that is OK, not that you need my permission. But, wait 30 years and read it again. Maybe you will change your mind, because unlike you the vast majority of literary people consider this the greatest American works. Search for the deeper meaning in this book and how slaves were truly visualize and treated as animals, not humans. Start from there and then tell me it is not good.

John Get an attention span, folks.

Addy I completely agree with you. But yes, the meaning behind the story is a great one, Mark Twain was brilliant. I just dislike the way he writes it. I can barely understand Jim half the time, I actually ended up skipping everything he said because it took too much work! Some may call my lazy but if someone is writing a book they should think about being audience friendly. Though then again, I'm sure when Twain wrote this book people could understand that, perhaps? It also felt like there was multiple books in just one story, Yes, Twain was brilliant and overall I think it was an okay book.

Lee Scoresby John Williams is right. If you say one of the greatest books in American literature is boring, you reveal something about yourself, not the book.

Alexandra The difficult-to-understand language is the whole book for a reason! It's showing the history of this time period, and is absolutely essential to the plot. There really wasn't too much going on at all. Each scene is broken up by some time on a raft, or somewhere peaceful. This story contains a great amount of satire and it really shows a lot of how society can affect others. We can see how Jim and the king and the duke all affect Huck in positive or negative ways, and how Huck starts to mature by realizing how his actions affect others.

message 7: by Cody (new)

Cody Nice pic is that u

message 8: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Spillars I think this shows exactly what's wrong with youth today. As soon as something presents its self as difficult they just loose interest because its "too hard" and they don't feel like putting forth the effort. By the way this is coming from someone who is 19 and tired of the ignorance that surrounds me.

Bookworm Josh is right! If you can't understand THIS book... then go read a magic tree house book instead!

message 10: by Ryan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ryan I am currently reading this for grade 9 English class. I agree that the book is very drawn out, but it has wonderful sensory details that really engulfs you in the story. It has taken me three- times as long to read it than other books because it doesn't have anything going on that really grabs my attention and keeps me reading. Hucks' personality was also very interesting. It wasn't my favorite, but it definitely Wasn't terrible.

Ellen Jeffery Bookworm, please try to remember that many of the reviewers of this book are young people who are not well versed in literature. They are exploring new concepts that are less familiar to them than they may be to you. If not for an exceptional honor's English teacher in high school, I would still be operating under the erroneous assumption that Shakespeare is boring and hard to read. Luckily, that particular teacher had a gift for making it clear, understandable, relevant and entertaining to a bunch of kids who watched too much TV in their spare time. That was 1985. Rather than insult and disparage the current generation, who grew up on internet, video games, and cell phones, try encouraging them and offering gently insight to expand their awareness of the value of literature. They will tune out and learn nothing if you berate them for their opinions.

Ellen Jeffery *gentle*