Jason's Reviews > Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment

Buddha by Deepak Chopra

Jan 22, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2009

Having been interested in Buddhism and Buddhist principles for many years, I was excited to read this fictionalized account of Siddhartha's life. I got the audio version of the book for my commute, which is read by Chopra himself. Unfortunately, I found myself really struggling to get in to the story. Chopra has a heavy accent which seemed pretty distracting from the storyline because I often wasn't able to understand something he'd just said. The first half of the story seemed a bit slow, which recounts Siddhartha's life in the palace before leaving to lead an aesthetic life. The latter half of the book was a bit more interesting, where Chopra tries to piece together Siddhartha's journey toward eventual enlightenment. The strange thing is that the Siddhartha from the first half of the book seemed to be a very different character than the Siddhartha in the second half. There didn't seem to be much character consistency or explanation as to what events may have bridged the 15-20 year span between the two sections. I have a hard time believing that Siddhartha suddenly woke up one day with the spiritual yearnings he later developed. There are many stories out there which tend to come alive in audio format (i.e. Anansi Boys). I'm guessing that this book probably would have been more enjoyable in printed form.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddha.