Dolores's Reviews > Mothership

Mothership by Martin Leicht

Oct 22, 2012

Read in October, 2012

Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. Good girl falls for hot, dumb jock--who just happens to be the main squeeze of the school's queen bee/mean girl, gets pregnant, guy skips town...and the girl gets shipped off to a school for pregnant girls...on a spaceship circling the Earth in low orbit. Bummer. But, wait! It gets better! The school is attacked by invaders, one of whom just happens to be the baby-daddy! Turns out the school was run by aliens, and the girls were in danger, and we are off on the most fun galactic romp/adventure since "Spaceballs". This is a laugh out loud read--even the chapter titles are a hoot. And boy, does this read like a screenplay, I could definitely see the movie playing out in my head. But, the book isn't all fun and froth. There is plenty of blood spilled during the daring rescue and the book raises several ethical issues. Informed consent before someone alters your body irrevocably, for one. And abortion is discussed pretty frankly. Both early in Elvie's pregnancy and late-term. But, my only real issue with the book was its resolution. I know it's fiction--and science fiction at that. But while I wouldn't want any young lady in Elvie's position to think her life was over, neither would I want the young ladies who read this book to think that it's okay to have a baby so young, because--"Hey! I'll still be able to achieve all my dreams."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mothership.