Sara's Reviews > The Shack

Jan 22, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: religion, fiction
Read in May, 2009

I enjoyed it. I think it's a great book to bring to people who are just starting out their faith walk. It asks the classic questions that plague us all - the "why do bad things happen to good people" and "where is God when I need God?" kinds of questions. I think it sorts through those issues with sensitivity and honesty in a believable fictional setting.

That said, for people farther along in the spiritual journey, it's got some questionable theology (IMHO) and I'm not sure it would be quite as fulfilling of a read. It reminds me a bit of the book "Joshua" by Girzone...it's a solid story, very enjoyable, but in the end, perhaps a bit too simplistic for those who yearn for a bit more spiritual food.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah Yeah, I know we meant to read this together, but this book is perpetually on hold at the library. In addition, I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book. Now that you've given it three stars, I think I'll just pass over this one.

Sara Yes- for you, I would say pass on it. You are an old soul, and this book would probably bore you.

For me, it was the only choice at the airport of something that I thought I might actually enjoy reading (all my other choices were like Dan Brown and romances and truly silly stuff.) I'm not sure otherwise how quickly I would have picked it up. I was pretty much kicking myself for forgetting to have got to the library first to pick out something much higher on my "to read" list.

For a 4 hour flight, it was worth the diversion though!

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah Yeah, I hear you. I found it pretty annoying that a church down my street was doing a "study" on this book. I'm thinking, how about a study on the actual Bible? Why not give that a whirl? Naturally, I was being judgmental about something I know nothing about. What's new.