Josie's Reviews > Once Upon a Time in the North

Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman

Jan 22, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult

** spoiler alert ** I liked this right from the first scene! Hester uses sarcasm so wonderfully; she is clearly a girl after my own heart. "My feelings are too deep to express, Lee." I love how honourable Lee is, almost without thinking; it's just the way he was raised and Hester has to be the canny one to try and keep him from getting in too much trouble. That moment with Miss Lund was brilliant. Lee is just... oblivious, and Hester has to explain what she was talking about. Women are usually portrayed as having this typical womanly wisdom when it comes to Affairs Of The Heart, but this didn't feel like, "Oh, Hester knew what was going on because she was female," it was more like, "Hester knew what was going on because she is smart and Lee is a bit dense." The origin of the rifle was a nice touch, but also sad in that it reminds you how Lee eventually dies. I was surprised at the ending where Iorek reveals Hester's true form, but then I agree with Hester when she says she always had more class than a rabbit, so. :))

And of course I loved the little Lyra bits at the end! Her dissertation title, how wonderful -- and the letter she writes about all the personal bits of ephemera that are understandably very precious to her. Oh, Lyra. ♥
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time in the North.