Tina's Reviews > Godspeed - Die Ankunft

Godspeed - Die Ankunft by Beth Revis

Oct 21, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, just-awesome

'Shades of Earth' begins with a crash – a crash landing on Centauri Earth. Right from the beginning the reader is sucked back into the story. The world-building in this book is excellent. Previous issues come back in completely new and unexpected ways to impact the colony's survival, and the conclusion is both realistic and astounding. It's an exciting, breathtaking, heart-pounding finale for the series. Beth Revis does a wonderful job at creating and explaining the world to the reader, and all of its secrets...

But... some secrets are no secrets at all, some developments seem to be odd. Why doesn't anybody suspect this Chris guy? The frozens KNOW each other...they have been carefully selected.

Amy's parents, finally revived from their frozen state, turn out to be jerks. Particularly her father is a huge ass, dumb and dictatorial in his decisions. And Amy's mom - I didn't feel a real mother daughter connection.

My favorite character in the entire trilogy is Elder. I love the transformation of this character from an insecure boy to the brave man. I couldn't get enough of him, but speaking of the last few chapters... as much as I love him, his death would have been a braver step. Bringing him back made a great moment in the story pointless. It was too obvious and no surprise at all that his death wasn't going to happen.

Despite a few weak points 'Shades of Earth' is an incredible final installment to the "Across the Universe" trilogy, with strong and engaging characters and an exciting, compelling storyline. I highly recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godspeed - Die Ankunft.

October 21, 2012 – Shelved
January 17, 2013 – Started Reading
January 17, 2013 –
page 15
3.14% "15 pages... and Amy annoys me already. That's a new record...^^"
January 17, 2013 –
page 113
23.64% "Hah! I knew it..."
January 18, 2013 –
page 172
35.98% "I have a bad feeling about this...."
page 198
41.42% "Frexing hell. This stuff is like superglue..."
page 233
48.74% "Is that really necessary?"
page 288
60.25% "I have no frexing words..."
page 328
68.62% "Whoooooooooooaaaaaaaaa!"
page 341
71.34% "I need some cheering up here! Nooooooo, that can't be happening!"
page 369
January 20, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
January 20, 2013 – Shelved as: just-awesome
January 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ellie (new) - added it

Ellie Can't wait to read it.

Tina :)

Nadine :-) Schön, dass es Dir auch gut gefallen hat!

Tina Ja, es war NICHT ATU oder AMS, aber ein würdiger Abschluss der Serie. :)

Nadine Ja, ging mir ähnlich, mich hat es auch erst zum Ende hin richtig überzeugt.