Ashton's Reviews > All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes

All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes by Maya Angelou

Jan 22, 2009

I enjoyed this read. It was thought provoking. Reading it I did not hear a black woman's voice - though that's who she is, and proud of it. I heard some of my own emotions on behalf of the black community, and the voice was just a human voice - someone who had been hurt. The episode in Germany brought an interesting parallel with the blacks and the Jewish.
Her thought processes of trying to deal with slavery were normal and human, not overwhelming, as so many other things are. So much of what I've read about people dealing with emotions around black slavery in the US deal with shocking images that are purported to be realistic, but seem set up to simply shock you into feeling remorse and guilt that is not your own. And to me has felt like a personal accusation towards my ancestors, that somehow we're all tainted by their actions, even though many people don't know how their ancestors treated slaves or if they even owned them. Not this book. It deals with her feelings at trying to return to a home in Africa - and finding that her home is the one that she is fighting to bring to equality as well as the one her ancestors were forced to leave behind. And her struggle mentally with the idea that the modern Ghanaians may be descendants of the ones who may have even sold her ancestors into slavery was in a way redeeming to myself. Somehow having it acknowledged that white Americans were not wholly responsible for starting the whole thing. Growing up in the South I've had to fight with some of the same issues myself, though not anywhere near the way a black person would. This was good. It was more than good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes.

January 22, 2009 – Shelved