Ardo's Reviews > Dark Star

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reads, young-adult, paranormal-urban-fantasy

Okay. This wasn't a superhero book.

I expected a superhero book but this wasn't it. Now, to be fair, this book is marketed under the genre of YA urban fantasy. What is YA urban fantasy? The best example would be Cassandra Clare's series, the Mortal Instruments, which is a series that takes place in a city-like setting with something paranormal in nature incorporated into it...oh, and it's written for young adults. That's what this book is and, without the mention of superhero in the synopsis, that would be fine...kind of.

Let's begin with the plot. This book took too long to get to the point or action of the story and if you cut out some scenes and chapters or fused some scenes and chapters, it would actually be too short. You know Patrick Tigue? The dude mentioned in the synopsis that you assumed would be one of the main focus' on the book? The first mention of him can be found more than halfway through the book. He was, in fact, a minor character but was only "major" in name only and not in an actual role. This story spent most of it's time discussing Audrey's inability to handle the unfathomable idea of demons (despite the fact that her mom is super strong and has super healing...).

No, seriously. Audrey is probably one of the most annoying heads to be in. The writing is such that her feelings are told to us (not shown!) over and over and over again to the point where I just wanted to scream and say, "WE GET IT! YOU'RE AFRAID AND CONFUSED BUT PLEASE GET OVER IT SO I CAN ENJOY SOME ASS KICKING..." I understand that not all characters can be bad asses but even Clary in Clare's the Mortal Instruments (Books 1-3 to be more specific) is a lot more helpful than whiny. Even when Audrey does go out to help, she does so without a plan and she's almost always rescued. Also, the climax was anti-climactic and it might be due to the fact that it took too long to build Frenette's world or that there was no significant build up to the climax at all.

The dialogue and exchange between characters fell flat for me and therefore creating 1 dimensional characters. I didn't genuinely care about or like anyone. Leon had his moments when he's not constantly coming in when it's convenient for the plot and then leaving just as abruptly. I did like Morning Star - Audrey's superhero mom and the scenes with Detective Wyle. I feel like the story should have been about her as a teenage instead (that would have been a really cool story from what it sounds like when discussing her past). Kind of like the beginnings of a reluctant superhero since she's just fighting Harrowers at first and was deemed a hero by the public. Just add in the occasional crime fighting outside of Harrowers (like a hostage situation in a bank or a super villain...) and you can have a nice balance between a superhero book and an urban fantasy.

Overall though, this book was an effort to read. I feel that, even if you're okay with the whole "it's not really a superhero novel", it's still not a well put together book for whatever genre it was intended for.

For more of my review: http://aaomer.wordpress.com/2012/10/2...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Star.

October 21, 2012 – Shelved
October 26, 2012 – Started Reading
October 27, 2012 –
page 127
34.51% "I went in excited but I've just hit a wall of...dull? I don't know but I hope the super hero part starts soon (and just giving someone the title of "superhero isn't enough...")"
October 28, 2012 –
page 187
50.82% "The protagonist is annoying...*sighs*"
October 28, 2012 – Finished Reading