Rob's Reviews > The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions

The Dilbert Principle by Scott Adams

Aug 11, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: own, humor
Recommended for: jaded tech and/or office workers
Read in January, 1997

I got into the Dilbert comics sometime during high school. I was working part-time in the head office of a construction company, alphabetizing invoices and de-stapling paperwork. Gimpy stuff. "Office bitch" type stuff. The hours and pay were good though and my boss looked almost exactly like the Dilbert Boss -- but with a mustache and without being an idiot. Just the same, everyday's three panel strip clearly illustrated some incident that had recently occurred.

This book was given to me somewhere during that time period and was then consumed in asynchronous chunks, usually while on the toilet. In my mind, it remains a philosophical gem that (for better or worse) illuminates and updates all of the same points that Machiavelli was making hundreds of years ago. But Adams includes pictures.

What this book is: an excellent companion piece to Microserfs by Douglas Coupland.

What this book is not: a collection of comic strips a la Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side Gallery etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dilbert Principle.

Lisa Kay Great review, Rob. I loved this one too!