Ron Peters's Reviews > Call it Sleep

Call it Sleep by Henry Roth
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
7353442
's review

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, modernism

This is a 1930s American novel about the young son of Polish Jewish immigrants growing up in early 20th century New York. Large parts of it are written the Modernist style with passages of stream of consciousness and dialogue imitating the broken English spoken in many different European accents around New York. I had very mixed feelings about it. Bits of it were engaging and the climax (the last 10%) was exciting and moving, but it didn't make up for slogging my way through most of the other 90%. I’m interested to see which of my Jewish friends, if any, has read it and, if so, what they made of it.
flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call it Sleep.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

December 12, 2021 – Started Reading
December 12, 2021 – Shelved
December 12, 2021 – Shelved as: fiction
December 14, 2021 –
page 115
25.56%
December 16, 2021 –
page 240
53.33%
December 19, 2021 –
page 347
77.11%
December 20, 2021 –
page 450
100.0%
December 20, 2021 – Shelved as: modernism
December 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

No comments have been added yet.