Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)'s Reviews > Mad World: Sanctuary

Mad World by Samaire Provost

This was book two of the Mad World series. Book one was Epidemic and while it is not necessary to read it first, as you do get some back story, I was glad that I did. (Here is my review) Sanctuary starts out five years after the epidemic started. Alyssa and friends - now family - have not stayed in one place for long. They continue to move because they are afraid for Luke - he was born as his mother was turning because of the plague. So he is somewhat of a hybrid. They have discovered that the CDC are hunting them because they want to dissect Luke to see if they can find a cure.

They have heard about a place in Canada called Sanctuary and set off to try to get there. Along the way they meet new friends and run into the ever present zombies which can crop up anywhere these days. They take off for Canada via South and North Dakota, not knowing what is out there and even how they are going to be able to cross over into Canada.

I liked the way that the story stayed true to the relationships that had developed in book one - and how Risa had grown up and was a street smart teenager now. Luke was a loveable little boy, but all he knew was zombies, and he had seen his share. Some of the run-ins with the zombies were entertaining as well as gory.

The ending sends you further into the future and set ups nicely for another book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad World.

Started Reading