preppea's Reviews > The Art of Submission

The Art of Submission by Ella Dominguez

bookshelves: erotica, contemporary, romance, zz-reviewed

There have been so many romance novels where I longed to hear the other side of the story – wanted to hear the thoughts going through the other person’s head. Ella Dominguez does that and more in her book, THE ART OF SUBMISSION.

In THE ART OF SUBMISSION we meet Dylan, a wealthy businessman and art connoisseur, who has gone to a lot of trouble to restrain his BDSM tendencies after a partner’s betrayal. At an art gallery he happens upon some art pieces that bring his desires back to the forefront and he quickly buys them all. We also meet Isabel, an insecure and meek artist, who paints pieces as if she is writing her innermost desires in a personal journal. Never meaning to sell or even display her art, Isabel is coerced into displaying several of her pieces by her overbearing boss only to find out they have all been purchased.

Isabel tracks down the buyer in hopes of convincing him to return her paintings, only to ignite a fire in Dylan when he finds out the elusive artist is an attractive female. When Dylan proposes a contractual BDSM relationship with Isabel, he finds out that she may paint naughty, erotic scenes but she doesn’t actually have any knowledge or experience with BDSM - a fact he quickly works to remedy.

The changing POVs took some getting used to as I kept expecting Isabel to continue on with the story where Dylan left off, only to find myself going back in time to an earlier part of the day with no real warning or background staging. As the story went on, I came to expect the change and it flowed seamlessly. I also thought it was a great way to cause some angst for the reader because I’d be at a climactic part with Dylan only to be forced to go back in time before I could find out what happened. By far the best part of the replaying of the story though was the way the author made each sex scene so new when presented from the other person’s point of view. Even though I already knew what happened, she made it feel so different that I was always completely immersed and never felt like those parts were just being repeated.

While we’re on the topic of sex, I thought the sex scenes were smoking hot and erotic. They were perfect in every way. I never thought I’d like seeing a man be in the submissive role, but when Isabel struggles with her own dominant tendencies, she does it in a way that allows Dylan to remain very masculine, sexy and appealing. I personally loved how Isabel would find her strength and speak up – it was empowering and a nice change to see a girl who knew when she’d had enough. Frankly, I think both of their alter egos were pretty great…

THE ART OF SUBMISSION follows Dylan and Isabel’s journey as they try to find a way to be together that fulfills them both while simultaneously working through past hurts and insecurities from prior relationships. We find out some of their personal history in this story, but I’m hoping the sequel will go into more depth on what happened to them in their past. The character development was superb; I could identify with Dylan and Isabel in every way and sympathize with both of them equally. I cared about them, loved them, rooted for them. I felt like their actions made sense and came from a very honest place. In all, this book was a smoking hot romance with a lot of depth and I’m really looking forward to following Isabel and Dylan in the sequel.

**Copy provided by the author for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Submission.

Started Reading