Erica Verrillo's Reviews > Thirteen Moons

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

When I started this book, I felt some trepidation. I didn't think that Frazier could top Cold Mountain. As it turned out, he didn't have to. Will's story was a whole new world, one which completely captivated me. It's been months now since I finished the book, and I can still remember all the characters - Will, Claire, Bear - as vividly as if I'd known them for years.

Charles Frazier, whether or not you like his subject matter, has what all novelists strive for and what very few achieve: the ability to invent a world and put you smack dab in the middle of it. He can create characters with a stroke of the pen, make you feel with them, make you laugh with them, make you cry with them. He describes nature with such intensity that you will read those passages over and over again. And when the book ends you will grieve for the loss of the world Frazier has created. In short, Frazier has the Gift. And we are the lucky recipients of it.

Very few serious writers survive the publishing business, which tends to favor books with short, but lucrative, shelf lives. In this brave new world we live in, it seems literary ideas are as disposable as paper napkins. But in spite of the absurdities produced by economic short-sightedness, I have every confidence that Frazier's Thirteen Moons will be read for decades to come for its beauty, its honesty and for its genuine heartfelt emotion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Moons.

Started Reading
April 11, 2009 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Billie Joy Hear, hear! I'm reading Thirteen Moons right now and am completely absorbed in the world Frazier has created within the pages.