Rachel's Reviews > The Namesake

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Aug 10, 2007

bookshelves: 2-loved-it
Recommended to Rachel by: Author Loyalty
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a fabulous, new author to follow
Read in May, 2004

The perfect follow-up to her short story collection, Lahiri's The Namesake follows the story of Gogol and enraptures the reader as they struggle with him to come to terms with his Indian-American identity. As in Interpreter of Maladies, Lahiri's writing is descriptive and poetic, and her story is layered with character and emotion. After reading The Namesake, I became an absolute Lahiri worshiper and am happy to admit that I have been placed under her saffron-scented spell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Namesake.

message 1: by Jenwah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Jenwah Did you see the movie? I went to the independent theater here once to see it... "The Namesake"... I could tell it was a good story, but the movie seemed a bit slow to me. I can see how it might be better in book form. Regardless... might be fun to put another face to "Gogol"

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel no, i just found out recently that it was made into a movie. i definitely want to check it out. i think it would be difficult to successfully make into a movie, but then again most books are...

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Rachel - I think you gave a perfect review of The Namesake. I saw Jhumpa in person when she was touring with the book and she did a reading from it. I also loved the book of short stories, actually more than The Namesake. I don't think she has done anything since, but I hope she has plans to continue writing.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel you saw her??? i'm SOOOOO jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Yes, she is a very elegant and classy woman. She also did a signing, so both of my books are autographed. Love that.