Scott's Reviews > The Wishsong of Shannara

The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks

M 50x66
Jan 20, 2009

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishsong of Shannara.

Laura Have you read any of the Shannara books?

message 2: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott I read the first two way back in the day. I tried to re-read the first one maybe two years ago. Got to about page 20 and just couldn't bear it; it was so obviously reheated Tolkien that had been left in the freezer too long and had achieved the flavor and consistency of cardboard. I was a bit disappointed because it had seemed enchanting when I was 13.

So, thought I'd try a later one that I haven't read. Perhaps I shall be sorry.

Laura I don't know about sorry, per se, because it's been too long since I read them myself. But I would recommend instead bypassing this and all the sequels and trying "Ilse Witch: Voyage of the Jerle Shannara." I thought it was far superior.
"reheated Tolkien that had been left in the freezer too long and had achieved the flavor and consistency of cardboard" is a perfect description!

message 4: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Laura wrote:But I would recommend instead bypassing this and all the sequels and trying "Ilse Witch: Voyage of the Jerle ..."

So this is set in the same world, but happens outside the big Shannara story? (whatever it exactly is)

Laura Yes, as I recall it's much later time-wise, but in the same world. It involves a ship being built to explore other continents.

message 6: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Well, I added it to the "to read" list. We shall see if it's at the local library.