Shannon Kitchens's Reviews > Scorch

Oct 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read from October 17 to 23, 2012

Well... this book happened.

It's not that I didn't like Scorch so much as it didn't live up to my expectations. That and I now hate Lex, but more on that later.

To its defense, Scorch does not suffer from Middle-Book-Syndrome. Instead, it's a complete story in the middle of a bigger story. Major props for that.

I also really appreciate that there is NO LOVE TRIANGLE. Instead, we deal with Lex and Drigg's contining and charming relationship. (And with Damico's best description of sexy times ever.)

There's still some of the cleverness I loved in Croak. However, it wasn't enough to make this book a win in the end for me.

So, what doesn't work for me.

1.) The bad guys. Ok, I get that what's their faces (see? already forgotten their names) are evil and power hunger. But seriously? They have no development. I mean, the just show up and are evil. Done. (view spoiler) But they felt weak and contrived. Their whole purposed seemed to be to get Mort and the Juniors out of town. I also don't understand the unfounded insta-hatred of Juniors. Um, yeah, totally don't get it.

2.) Sooo teenage. When I gave my mom Croak to read, she complained to me it was too teenage. I wrote it off, and thought it was just teenage enough. Scorch pushed my limits. Yes, this is a teen book, but instead of emboding teen ideals or what it feels to be a teen, it comes off a sophmoric. I'm sure a teenage will like this book more than me.

3.) Lex (view spoiler)

So, I realize that things are still not wrapped up in a nice bow by the end of Scorch. So there's going to be more. I will probably read to the next one, but, I'm not sure I'll make it to the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.