Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > Paladin of Souls

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold

Oct 17, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, fiction, novels, ebooks
Recommended for: Fantasy Fans

I loved this even more than the first book in this world, The Curse of Chalion--and I loved Chalion a lot, which was my first book by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold was well known before these high fantasy works for a science fiction series, the Vorkosigan Saga. And after her fantasy I turned to those and loved them, but Chalion was first, and she wrote there as if high fantasy was her first language. She had a gift for creating a world that didn't feel off the shelf. Her deities feel like they have a point, and aren't a retread of the Greek Pantheon. It feels a mix of paganism and Christianity in fact. But her greatest gift is for creating characters you care about. And I care a great deal for Ista, a minor character in Chalion who comes into her own in this novel.

I love that she's no young sweet thing but a mature woman with miles on her and plenty of damage. She's a complex strong heroine and this book even passes the Bechdel Test (Two or more woman appear in at least one scene where they talk about something other than men.) In other words, there are interesting secondary women characters too. A fantasy book I consider more than comfort food; it's chicken soup for the soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paladin of Souls.

Tracy I adore Bujold's Vorkosigan books. Love them, love them, love them. Then I read The Curse of Chalion which I loved even more. Then I read this. It's easily my favourite Bujold book (well I have many favorites but it is my favoritist favorite). I loved Isla and it was lovely to see her finally get a chance to find some joy after the horrific events of Curse.

message 2: by Lisa (Harmonybites) (last edited Oct 22, 2012 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa (Harmonybites) Tracy wrote: "I adore Bujold's Vorkosigan books. Love them, love them, love them. Then I read The Curse of Chalion which I loved even more. Then I read this. It's easily my favourite Bujold book."

I'd say Miles Vorkosigan is my favorite Bujold character, and the Vorkosigan Saga is my favorite of her series (Although I don't know that you can call the only 3 Chalion books and the 4 Sharing Knife volumes series.)

But my favorite single individual Bujold book? Definitely this one.

Tracy I've been in love with Miles for years. He is my favourite character too and as a whole the Vorkosigan series is my favourite series. But yeah this book is awesome.