Stephanie's Reviews > Disciple

Disciple by L. Blankenship

Oct 17, 2012

For Want of a Piglet, the first volume in the Disciple series by L. Blankenship, takes us through what will be the first of many trials for Kate, a low-born girl from a conquered land, whose surgical and magical talents will become vital in the wars that rage between nations. Where everyone is magical, those with greater gifts come under the eye of Saints, beings of power who wage war alongside their chosen people. Kate will be tested again and again against men and monsters both -- measuring her talents and her heart. And this is just the beginning.

I had the chance to read this book before publication and it’s a page-turner. You are deep into Kate’s point-of-view, invested in her setbacks and triumphs, and learn with Kate more about the world as she is drawn deeper into the halls of power. This isn’t the land of unicorns and fairy castles – characters die, nations war and spy betray, and everything has a price to be paid. More than that, it’s thoughtful, a fantasy that gets down to the nitty-gritty of figuring out the if/then that the premise implies, making for crunchy, satisfying fantasy fare.

Can’t wait for the rest of the series! I’m hooked!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disciple.