Kris Irvin's Reviews > The Casual Vacancy

Oct 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: bad-books

Well. That was painful.

I expected more of arguably the most famous female author of all time. I wasn't looking for Harry Potter: The Grown Up Years, or anything even remotely close. I went in, suspending my expectations as well as can be reasonably expected.

And then I fell 35,000 feet back to earth.

What was Rowling THINKING?! First, too many characters, which, as they are all "real life" characters, they're all pretty much exactly the same. I still can't tell the difference between Shirley and Samantha, and I got Terri confused 90% of the time because her only descriptions are "that elderly woman" and "her claw-like hand." There were many claw-like hands in this novel, by the way.

On the one (claw like) hand, I was drawn into the people's stories, but then there is no resolution here. Nobody figures out that they're being a turd face. No marriages are fixed, no divorces applied for. Some kids die and people are sad, but most are indifferent. The end.

The only character I cared for was Sukhvinder, and the only reason for that is that she is a cutter (I am a former cutter.) I can say JK Rowling got one thing absolutely right - she's the first person who has ever written about cutting that wasn't making stuff up as she went along. She did a great job there, and actually I was about to quit reading when I happened upon the cutting scene which is what made me keep going and finish the book.

The language is beyond bad. I have been more educated by this book than I was in 4 years of high school. Crap.

I guess if there had been any sort of resolution or conclusion at all, this maybe, possibly almost would have been worth reading. But there was nothing redeeming about it. It was just sad, depressing, and pointless.

I give it two stars - 1 star for the descriptive writing of England because JK is a master at that. And 2 for the cutting scenes because they were well done. Other than that, run away. This book sucks. I am infinitely let down by Ms. Rowling now. I hope she if she's decided to not write YA books, she'll just quit writing period. She's not awesome enough for adult novels, and besides, stick to what you know and do really, really well!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casual Vacancy.

October 17, 2012 – Started Reading
October 17, 2012 – Shelved
October 17, 2012 –
page 268
53.28% "The language in this book is atrocious. Everyone is so sad and angry here. I feel let down, especially by the language."
October 18, 2012 – Shelved as: bad-books
October 18, 2012 – Finished Reading

Ariel I am stuck trying to get through this too. So many boring unlikeable characters to keep track of.

Kris Irvin Ariel wrote: "I am stuck trying to get through this too. So many boring unlikeable characters to keep track of."

Seriously - what was she THINKING? I can't keep Sam and Shirley straight to save my freakin' life. And all the characters are just sad and pathetic. Ugh.

Ariel Too many characters, though I am liking it a little better than I did this morning. I'm at page 200 now but it needs to go back to the library tonight so not sure when I will be able to get back into it. Do any of the parents have the slightest clue about their kids?

Ariel Congratulations on finishing, now you can move on to something less depressing.

Kris Irvin Ariel wrote: "Congratulations on finishing, now you can move on to something less depressing."

No kidding. I was going to respond to your comment last night about the parents getting a clue, because I was about 75% of the way through and they never did. So I finished it to see if anyone figured out what the heck they were doing and nope. They're all completely clueless, soulless morons. Apparently you can read the plot in relative detail on Wikipedia. I'd recommend that over spending anymore suffering on the actual book. Gack.