Michael Offutt's Reviews > Disciple

Disciple by L. Blankenship

Oct 16, 2012

In this book, Ms. Blankenship establishes her presence on the same shelves as those epic fantasy reads belonging to Martin, to Tolkien, and to Jordan. Hers, however, is uniquely female, and in that, it's refreshing. You find tremendous voice which I imagine in my mind as a Scottish brogue that sets the flavor of the entire piece. And when the author pulls monsters out of her hat, they're so real and visceral I feel like I'm actually there battling for my life.

I want to encourage all readers of fantasy to investigate this novel, because the writer has done incredible research. However, begin with the appendix. I didn't do this and once I discovered the wealth of information there, I realized just how much research the author went into before writing.

She has her calendar for the world completely planned out. You'll find a beautiful map to follow along with while reading, And a description of the magical talent trees that she has developed before even writing the first word.

All of that world-building shows forth in the writing, which I'm sure will result in a series that will become a classic among genre enthusiasts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disciple.

October 16, 2012 – Started Reading
October 16, 2012 – Shelved
November 2, 2012 –
15.0% "Love the characters. All this talk of lamia really sets the mood."
November 5, 2012 –
50.0% "This tale is just sweeping me along."
November 14, 2012 –
90.0% "Man, I really feel for Kate. She has been through a lot in this fantasy. I love it so much!"
November 19, 2012 – Finished Reading