Izzy's Reviews > Magisterium

Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Oct 16, 2012

liked it

Cross posted from my blog rabidgummibear.wordpress.com
Looking for a blend of science fiction and fantasy? A book you can read with your kid or just a great young adult book? Love dystopian esque locations? Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch may be the perfect option for you.

Magisterium starts off with you meeting Glenn a girl who lives in the Colloquium and is striving towards joining the Deep Space Service to go to a planet called 813. We learn about how she has spent her life next to a barrier that separates Colloquium from the Magisterium. Though she has spent her life learning about the terrors that supposedly exist on the other side of the barrier a few situations quickly put her in a spot where she finds out what exactly is on the other side.

This book gets off to a slow start and definitely lulls in some spots, but as you keep reading you find yourself getting attached to at least one of the three characters. For me I was attached to Aamon and Kevin moreso than Glenn. I really wanted to know how things turned out for them. Though I will say I became more attached to Glenn towards the end of the book.

For me the book was great in parts and a total drag in others. I’m disappointed it wasn’t a stand alone but like every other book now a series. I felt like if it was a stand alone and just a little bit longer it would have been just amazing. Being left with the feeling of not much being finished off in this book though makes it not so amazing.

Overall I think this is a great pick for a YA, but it’s not The Hunger Games or other popular YA novels. I give it 2.5/5 stars. Not worth 9.99 to me, but perhaps for the 5.99 or under pricemark it’s great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magisterium.

October 16, 2012 – Started Reading