Nora's Reviews > Knife Sworn

Knife Sworn by Mazarkis Williams

Oct 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: high-fantasy, 2012-pub

This book was less wonderful than the first of the series. I mean, still well-written, and the central conflict was good, but overall I felt much less invested for several reasons:

1) The pacing was flat-out wonky. I couldn't tell the order of events between perspectives -- one character will be doing something, then it'll cut to a second character over several days, and then when we return to the first they're just finishing that thing they were doing. And then when they meet up they've each just finished that last bit of narrative? I was thoroughly confused.

2) It took a long time to figure out what the main conflict was -- and this is the sort of thing that I DON'T want red herrings on. Similarly, many of the subplots felt disconnected (hopefully picked up in the third?).

3) One of the protagonists from the first (Mesema) (my favorite) was hardly in this one AT ALL. For no reason I could see. Except that she had a baby, as if that's supposed to justify her absence. (It doesn't.)
(This is mildly rectified by her straight-up calling her husband out on not letting her into the loop... but she doesn't do this until after the climax. And he doesn't express any remorse over lying to her the whole book.)

4) Williams often seems to get caught up in his own writing, circling back over the same issues with new and (less-than-)exciting metaphors... to the point that there are times I can't tell what's ACTUALLY happened. I mean, that's nice imagery and all, but what is the physical image I'm supposed to be seeing? Nice job on the internal thoughts that led to the conclusion, but HOW exactly did he do that thing?

...So yeah. I liked the story, and will definitely be on the lookout for the last in the trilogy, but this one was a classic second-book disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knife Sworn.

October 16, 2012 – Shelved