Matthew Phelps's Reviews > A Cry from the Far Middle: Dispatches from a Divided Land

A Cry from the Far Middle by P.J. O'Rourke

it was ok

Not my bag

I made it a little over halfway before I threw in the towel. His ability to turn a phrase was the only reason I kept going that long. Though the title gives the impression that the author will point out the ridiculousness, absurdity, and fanaticism of the extreme ends of the American political spectrum, his dry wit is aimed squarely at younger generations’ progressivism that he neither fully understands nor appreciates. It comes off sounding curmudgeonly and completely out of touch with how American liberalism has progressed and left him and his libertarianism behind. It turns out that the reason he is in the middle is because his "get off my lawn" brand of politics failed to progress as ideas in technology, environmental responsibility, and social consciousness moved beyond him and he is made to feel increasingly out of touch. It would be one thing if his criticisms were based in understanding, but they are expressed more from a place of being uninterested or unwilling to understand. I’m not interested in spending any more time on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cry from the Far Middle.

Started Reading