Melindeeloo's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Oct 15, 2012

bookshelves: steampunk, paranormal-romance, favorites, vampires

Please forgive me while I rave about Kiss of Steel - what a great melding of steampunk and paranormal romance. I have become enamored with steampunk romance recently, but there aren't many books in the genre where the steampunk trappings are integral to the story. Kiss of Steel is one of the rare ones where the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, there's an airship' decorating the story in order to steampunk-ize it. And I thought that the alternate London with its literal twist on bloodthirsty Bluebloods - a twist to European history that also gave a new significance to the use of guillotines in the French revolution - was clever and I also liked that the Whitechapel setting provided a suitably gritty backdrop for our down and out and desperate heroine, Honor.

On the romance front, I loved the complicated hero, Blade, a gutter born Blueblood - who fights his blood hunger and darker nature around Honor. And while, being exceedingly hero-centric, it is easy for me to love the leading man, I also really liked Honor too. I liked that she is smart and stubborn and that Honor's determination to protect those she loves doesn't make her seem 'too stupid to live' even when she insists on heading into dangerous territory. And I liked that she eventually trusts Blade to go wild with her, but that it takes some time for her to learn that trust which makes for a nice build up to some pretty steamy intensity in their romance.

So great steampunk/paranormal world, great leads and a satisfyingly steamy romance. I loved Kiss of Steel and I am really looking forward to the next book, Kiss of Iron - the next up dangerous leading man is confused and definitely in need of some therapeutic loving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

October 15, 2012 – Started Reading
October 15, 2012 – Shelved
October 16, 2012 –
31.0% "A melding of steampunk and paranormal romance - so far this is really good and the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, here's an airship' to let you decorate a story in order to steampunk-ize it."
October 16, 2012 –
81.0% "This has been so good, great build up to the steamy stuff - I am going to be sorry to be finished"
October 16, 2012 – Finished Reading

Michelle Cummings Okay, this just moved up to the top of my TBR pile!

message 2: by ~V~ (last edited Oct 17, 2012 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~V~ This sounds really good! The only steampunk i've ever read is Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series and i love those, i'm def. going to be giving this one a shot! Great review Melindeeloo! :)

Melindeeloo Michelle wrote: "Okay, this just moved up to the top of my TBR pile!" Hope you like it:)

message 4: by Melindeeloo (last edited Oct 20, 2012 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melindeeloo ~V~ wrote: "This sounds really good! The only steampunk i've ever read is Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series and i love those, i'm def. going to be giving this one a shot! Great review Melindeeloo! :)"
Brook is the one that got me started on steampunk - I am not a huge historical fan but I like the twist added to the world. Because of Brook I think of steampunk as the historical analogy of urban fantasy. Hope you like it too - this has been getting enthusiastic mentions on one of the forums that I haunt.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) It really was good, wasn't it? An author to watch.

Melindeeloo BamaGal wrote: "Good review. I haven't gotten this book yet, but it is one I definitely have my eye on..."

"Eye on it..." I have the roving eye when it comes to my next read or may be eyes bigger than... my book budget:)

Melindeeloo Lynsey wrote: "It really was good, wasn't it? An author to watch."

Yep, I'd have already wishlisted the next one if the link had been up. I wonder how many books are planned there are definitely several other characters that I am already interested in. I hope that she builds a cast and we get to see more of Sir Henry (the teaser made it look as though we will.)

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) I liked Will the werewulfen guy. I think he's a bit ...confused though.

Kristen What a great review Melindeeloo! It's on my wish list right now but I will probably start it sooner rather than later based on your review.

Melindeeloo Lynsey wrote: "I liked Will the werewulfen guy. I think he's a bit ...confused though."

Hopefully that makes him a good leading man - and gives a decent conflict for him and his h to work out.

Melindeeloo Kristen wrote: "What a great review Melindeeloo! It's on my wish list right now but I will probably start it sooner rather than later based on your review."

Hope you like it:)