Ruth B's Reviews > Tales of the Macabre

Tales of the Macabre by Edgar Allan Poe

bookshelves: 2012, classics

It is hard to rate a classic. And when the author is Edgar Allan Poe there is not much you can say that hasn't been told. Tales of the Macabre gathers some of the best tales by Poe and creates a wonderful world with the help of the illustrations of Benjamin Lacombe.

There are many reasons why Edgar Allan Poe is considered a classic of literature, a master in his area. And these tales show us why he keeps alive nowadays. With stories like Berenice, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Black Cat or Morella, his words have the power of give us chills and keep us awake at night.

And the best part is that this edition combines Poe’s stories with the work of Benjamin Lacombe.
Benjamin deserves the greatest round of applause because he has the ability to capture Poe essence and create the most wonderful illustrations. You can feel and see Poe’s influence in his creations and it is impossible not to stay lookin at each piece more than a minute by how perfect each one is. The drawings will catch you and will immerse you in a dark and scary world.

To create a more complete work, this edition has Charles Baudelaire’s essay on Poe’s life and works. An essay that will help you understand more about what lay behind some of Poe’s characters and is also a opportunity to get to known him.

I received a review e-copy from the publisher via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of the Macabre.

October 15, 2012 – Shelved