Karen's Reviews > ttyl

ttyl by Lauren Myracle

F 50x66

did not like it

Ug, I can't believe this book got published! I picked it up because when I saw it was on the banned book list I was curious. I've seen so many of my 6th grade students read it, but I really wish I could discourage them.

This book was on the banned list due to content not appropriate for young adults. I think the content may be fine for high school students, but it is definitely not something 6th graders need to be reading. The book is dedicated to The Beers Bros. That should say something right there.

The entire book is told in instant message format, but it could have at least have been done with some class. The ENTIRE book is written with "typical" text formatting. There is not one bit of grammatical integrity at all. As a writing teacher, I can't stand this. Good reading should include some modeling of appropriate use of language.

Parents, I strongly urge you to preview this book before allowing your young teenager to read it! I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe parents should know what their children are reading and make informed decisions. I will be honest.... I didn't read past the first few pages because I was so turned off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ttyl.

Finished Reading