Taka's Reviews > And Then There Were None

Jan 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: detective-crime_fiction, japan_jul07-aug11

Entertaining--

As a kid I was an avid fan of Sherlock Holmes and other detective/crime manga fiction that was really popular in Japan.

Reading Agatha Christie for the first time, I was reminded especially of the detective fiction manga I consumed back in the day with delight.

In a nutshell, And Then There Were None is an entertaining read. With its fast pace, simple writing, and convoluted plot, the story sucks you right in.

But I must say somewhat snobbishly that this is not a work of literature but a work of entertainment that is driven solely and purely by plot and devoid of that obsessive love of language and examination of the human psyche we see in the great novelists of the past. The author's interest is not the mind of the criminal (e.g. Crime and Punishment) or that of the victims. Rather, the how takes center stage over the why. Thus the fast pace and abundance of characters. We get to see just a glimpse of their minds, but not at all enough to get to know them.

I don't think this book pretends to be anything more than what it purports to be. And it is just that: an entertaining read.

No literary flourishes, no experimental gimmicks, no deep psychological insights, no social commentary, no poetic description, no stylistic innovations - just an entertaining story that evolves around ten people we don't really care about, but that nonetheless succeeds in tickling our curiosity. All we want to know is:

WHO DONE IT?

As far as sheer entertainment is concerned, it's a job well done.

I liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.