Lauren's Reviews > Postern of Fate

Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie

Jan 17, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Why three stars, you ask? While reading this, I kept getting a nagging feeling about the plot. I am almost positive Agatha Christie has written this exact same death in the book containing seven stories and it is Miss Marple at a dinner and she keeps solving the mysteries to the surprise of the other guests. Yeah, that one has an identical murder plot. The story is different, sure. Different characters. And I guess in this book, it isn't a mystery as to how Mary Jane died, but really why. Kind of.

That was mainly what bothered me. How many people stage a murder by "accidently" picking foxglove and serving it at dinner then put a stong dose of digitalis in the intended's drink? Maybe it IS a lot. Maybe it was fashionable.

The other two things were the dog and how it "talked", and how it really wasn't too much of a mystery. It is never explained what is in the letters. Not too much new info is discovered through out the book, and it turns out someone they knew had the answer the entire time.

It was still an amusing read but irked me more than an Agatha Christie novel should. I definitely prefer Marple and Poirot to Tuppence and Tommy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Postern of Fate.