Carmen Shaw's Reviews > My Favorite Mistake

My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

Oct 14, 2012

Read in October, 2012

Overall Thoughts:
This was a very likable and fun read with a few dramatic twists.

My Favorite Mistake begins with 19-year-old Taylor Caldwell starting her sophomore year at the University of Maine. When one of her roommates withdraws, she and her other two house mates - Darah and Renee - put out a call for another. The last person they expect to come knocking on their door is outspoken, unreserved, tattoo-having, 20-year-old Hunter Zaccadelli. Taylor is taken aback by his dominant male presence and blunt mouth, and instantly dislikes him. Hunter makes a bet with Taylor that will result in him leaving the apartment permanently: Make him believe that she either truly hates him or truly loves him... and he'll be out of her life forever.

Although Taylor sees this bet as an easy win because she detested him when she first met him, it doesn't end up working out that way. Her two other roommates automatically take to him, and in due time, so does she. Sadly, her damaged past has caused her to become a colder, more reserved version of her childhood-self, and makes her wary of people who could quite possibly hurt her again... that includes Hunter.

What I liked about this book:
This was an effortless read that was really easy to get into and stay into. Hunter was my favorite character because he was very static, but in a good way. He comes into the dorm with a charismatic and optimistic persona and leaves being that exact same way - he was a constant in Taylor's life.

What I disliked about this book:
I felt like the climax parts of the story were slightly anticlimactic. When the points in the story that the author had been building up to, finally come, they're simply glanced over and briefed, and then the story continues on to something else.

Verdict:
Although this story had a few obstacles, it was still a very undemanding and pleasant story that also maintained some emotional points that balanced it out well.

3.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Favorite Mistake.