D.M. Dutcher 's Reviews > The Muse

The Muse by Fred Warren

5208457

liked it
bookshelves: christian, fantasy

A fun novel about inspiration gone bad. I wanted more of the beginning and end, and a little less of the middle though.

Stan is a struggling fantasy writer who meets with two other writer friends in a local coffee shop. They drown their sorrows in coffee and support each other, critiquing their work and giving feedback. One day a girl named Leila overhears them, and offers to help them out. Leila is a part-time editoral staffer, and soon the three writers find themselves inspired and having good fortune.

This comes at a price though. Increasingly the three of them find themselves locked in what seems to be a trance, and their energy is at a low ebb. Is something giving them creativity at the cost of their life?

It's a fun novel to read, with good writing all around and a nice real-life focus. Very readable, and I enjoyed it, but I wish there had been more. Rather than spend time of the mystery of the muse, and a certain character sitting on information, I wish there had been more of the writer's life in the beginning, more explanation of the books mythology, and an extension of the wonderful final conflict at the end. The "mystery" of the muse you'll figure the main part out early, and the second part needs a bit more justification imo. That kind of world, where (view spoiler) was very interesting to me, and it fit the light tone of the book nicely.

The ending conflict was great, too. Especially the unexpected "secret weapon" that helped out quite a bit. The other characters introduced then were cool also, and I wanted to learn a bit more about them.

It's a good, likable book that had some nice parts, but needed to show them more and a little less of the middle. A decent change from the average high fantasy Christian spec fiction though, and I'd love to see what he does with future novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Muse.

Started Reading