Paul's Reviews > A Most Wanted Man

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré

it was ok
bookshelves: thriller

This isn't the Le Carre of the Smiley novels. Here he deals with the war on terror and I think he is missing the cold war because it doesn't really work.
The main character Issa, is a Chechen Muslim (supposedly) smuggled into Germany. He is in contact with a lawyer Annabel (young, attractive and left leaning, of course) Issa has business with Tommy Brue, a British, 60 year old banker whose has money put aside for Issa (long story). Floating around theses three are a couple of Turkish muslims, who are clownish caricatures and various members of the German intelligence community, some of whom we see a lot of and they are given various political rants periodically.
Le Carre throws a lot of characters into the mix and the whole is rather confusing and lacking in nuance. The Germans are a mixed bunch, some well-meaning others unscrupulous, mostly incompetent. The Brits are nasty and rather stupid, the Americans nasty and ruthless. the main character has no real substance and obviously the handsome 60 something banker will most likely get off with the attractive lawyer (a bit of wish fulfilment by the author methinks!!)
The ending is obvious, not a great deal happens, there is a bit of political posturing and the whole thing is a rather confusing mess of pottage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Most Wanted Man.

Started Reading
October 13, 2012 – Shelved
October 13, 2012 – Shelved as: thriller
October 13, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) I remember when the Berlin Wall came down; I asked an older friend what writers like Le Carre would do without the Iron Curtain. She thought about it and said, "A lot of writers will turn to "the dark side" and start writing about witchcraft and demons and stuff." At the time I thought it was just her private obsession (she was a missionary). I see that she was right even though Le Carre isn't among them--which is probably a good thing.

Dwight Quarles Jr I do recommend the movie if you are a fan of Le Carre. Well transformed into a screen play and a great Philip Seymour Hoffman performance.

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Meechan Dwight, I wondered about “wish fulfillment” as well. 60 & 30, a stretch. Even worse, Elmore Leonard has his young hot twenty something going for a 70 year old in “Djibouti”. 🙁