Justin's Reviews > Sky on Fire

Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne

10719338

bookshelves: 2013-releases, favorites

[Rating: 4.5 stars] They should really do half stars.

”We didn’t die. Stay safe…or get to Denver.”

The brothers have separated. Alex, Niko, Sahalia, Josie, and Brayden, along with Max, Ulysses, and Batiste, have taken their old school bus to Denver Intl Airport to try to get rescued, while Dean, Astrid, Chloe, and the twins Henry and Caroline stay behind in the store, knowing that they will become O monsters once exposed to the chemicals. While Dean and the others at the store have some gang problems, along the way, Alex and the kids on the bus will have to deal with crazy soldiers, old gangs, and domineering kids. And what’s this Operation Phoenix that they are hearing about? Will they find hope in Denver? Or will they find that their situation is worse than they could ever think of?

Sky on Fire ramped up everything: action, climax, and heartwarming scenes! On both ends of the story, despite the brothers getting separated, the plot was fast paced. On Alex’s side, we deal with the horrors of the outside world: crazy kids, O monsters, and other crazies just trying to survive. On Dean’s side, we deal with gang members that have found their way into the store. The plot, however, raises some questions.

1)Where did the white mold (skunk) come from?
2)What is Josie’s blood type? How is she the way that she is?
3)What the heck happened to Brayden?! She just left his character hanging!

I’ve seen many people talk about the repetitiveness of the writing, the repeatedness of the writing, and also how the writing says the same thing over and over again. (See what I did here? ;) ) I see the point, but they fail to keep in mind that this is from the point of view of kids struck with disaster, not a 3rd person POV. I also liked the fonts that distinguished each of their points of view, but Alex’s font was a bit too small for my taste ( but it didn’t interfere that much)

I liked how the book included a little review of the cast of characters in the beginning, just in case we forgot. It was a good thing too; it helped me get right back into the story. Some new adult characters were introduced too, and it was an interesting look into the grimy world of Monument, Colorado. I also actually kinda liked the relationships that were forged on Alex’s side, though they weren’t touched upon that much. Also, (view spoiler) were so touching. :`)

And the best part of the book was the climax! HOLY CRAP it was so suspenseful and thrilling! I was actually really scared for their lives! And after that, I loved how the story ended, EXCEPT…the story wasn’t ended there! It relates back to a past event that has the kids ready to go…where? We’ll find out in Savage Drift!

Overall, I don’t think Sky on Fire suffered that much from the 2nd-book-slump. It was great how she ramped up the action. Hopefully she answers all the questions and more in the final book of this trilogy, Savage Drift!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky on Fire.

October 12, 2012 – Shelved
October 12, 2012 – Shelved as: 2013-releases
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2013 – Started Reading
page 16
7.44% "Twists already!"
page 47
21.86% "Misuse of lie/lay alert!!"
page 71
33.02% "Jake's back!"
page 100
46.51% "I thought Niko said Dean was smart. But then again it was Jake who opened it"
page 153
71.16% ""Not a chance in hell." Max <3"
page 166
77.21% "Bittersweet moment. ;_;"
page 175
81.4% "HOLY CRAP THEY FOUND HER"
page 180
83.72% "HELL NO THEYRE STILL IN THE STORE WHAT DONT SET THE SKY ON FIRE"
page 215
100.0% "Just when we think their troubles are over...?"
page 207
96.28% "Just in time! YES"
July 21, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 2, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt yesh

message 2: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt I guess it's about the kids who left on the school bus :(

Justin See told you!

message 4: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Justin wrote: "See told you!"

<.<

Justin Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "See told you!"

<.<"

:D

message 6: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt 29 more days :(

message 7: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Reading the excerpt. I'm really starting to not like Astrid. I mean I didn't really like her before, but now even less.

Justin Matt wrote: "Reading the excerpt. I'm really starting to not like Astrid. I mean I didn't really like her before, but now even less."

Better or worse than GONE's Astrid?

message 9: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Reading the excerpt. I'm really starting to not like Astrid. I mean I didn't really like her before, but now even less."

Better or worse than GONE's Astrid?"

What is it about Astrids and being sucky persons?

Justin Matt wrote: "Eerily similar to original GONE Astrid, who held others in a kind of contempt, as though there were beneath her. She's still like that later on in GONE, but less so.

What is it about Astrids and being sucky persons?"

Hmm, I don't know, it just seems to come out that way. :\ LETS GO FIND ANOTHER ASTRID

message 11: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Heh, Astrid from Gone is under Wikipedia's listing for Astrids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrid

message 12: by Hari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~ For real bro I loved monument 14 and my library doesn't have sky on fire yet. That's KILLING me

Justin Hari wrote: "For real bro I loved monument 14 and my library doesn't have sky on fire yet. That's KILLING me"

RIGHT?! They're driving me crazy!!

message 14: by Hari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~ This book is gonna be awesome I can feel it...

message 15: by Hari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~ That ending is so cute!!!

They're both geniuses. When you read SoF, you'll see.

message 17: by Matt (new) - added it