Nic's Reviews > Definitely Not Mr. Darcy

Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos

it was ok
bookshelves: didn-t-finish

I gave it 74 pages, and I think that's fair.

It's a cute premise - Austenite (and single mom with money troubles) Chloe Parker goes on a Regency-themed reality dating show. And I almost like the writing, but I just don't find it quite funny. Real Austen fans may feel talked down to (do you really need to explain that a joke about coming out of a lake with a wet shirt refers to Colin Firth in the BBC Pride and Prejudice? To an Austen fan? I think not).

Plus, I just don't identify with Chloe, for reasons which I will present to you now in the form of a mocking impression.

"Hiii, I'm Chloe, and I love the Regency era and don't like the modern one! I'm kind of proud of knowing carriages better than cars and needing my eight-year-old daughter to handle the Internet for me! Can't imagine why my letterpress business is doing badly, can you?

"But surely going on this Jane Austen-themed show will fix it! I'll win the grand prize of one hundred thousand dollars, and my whole life will be excellent! Plus, living in authentic Regency conditions in England will be a dream come true!

"What do you mean, I can't have my cell phone?

"I NEED my cell phone.

"What do you mean, this is a dating show? I thought it was a documentary where we all did Jane Austen trivia contests! I thought it would be all classy! You have to get the guy to propose to you to win? Well, sure, I got all the paperwork you sent me, but isn't it totally understandable that in my Austen-y excitement I skimmed it so lightly as to have NO IDEA how one goes about actually winning the money that I'm completely counting on taking home? Doesn't that totally make sense, and not indicate that I'm a complete idiot? Now la, watch me go off and interact in weird and obnoxious ways with other people, just in case you were still thinking of sympathizing with me.

"Also, I'm a Regency expert, but have never heard of a ha-ha. That's not weird, right?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely Not Mr. Darcy.

Started Reading
October 12, 2012 – Shelved
October 12, 2012 – Shelved as: didn-t-finish
October 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kate L couldn't agree more, I finished the book, it didn't get much better :/

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nic Kate wrote: "couldn't agree more, I finished the book, it didn't get much better :/"

Nice to know I didn't miss an amazing ending or anything. :P