Kazhy (My Library in the Making)'s Reviews > Midnight City

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell

Oct 12, 2012

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, won, signed
Read 2 times. Last read November 16, 2013 to November 19, 2013.

(View this second review on My Library in the Making.)

Previous Rating: 4.5/5

What's the same?
The world-building was still amazing and the characters endearing, but I appreciated those even more during my re-read. The post-apocalyptic world that the author created was very easy to picture in my head, and I can just as easily see this as a movie. Seriously. It's one adaptation that needs to happen.

What changed?
I think I ignored it the first time I read this, but part one of Midnight City just dragged. It wasn't exactly boring, but it didn't keep my eyes glued, either. But patience, grasshopper, because after two hundred pages you'll find that this book is quite the gem. Everything gets crazy on part two—the part that I read in one sitting on both my first and second reads, so it's tried and tested, really.

-------

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

As with alien-invasion movies, I expected Midnight City to be either of two things when I started reading it: a hit or a miss. And the beginning made me think it was the latter of the two, until it started hitting me in all the right places.

The best part about this book was the pace. I'd only planned to read a hundred more pages today, but I kept reading because I had to know what would happen next.

I also loved the group of misfits who were the main characters. Holt, a survivor, if nothing else; Mira, ever so resolute about her plan; Zoey, innocent but courageous and smart for her age; and the Max, adorable... although I believe Mira when she said that he stinks. Their group was formed out of necessity, and their hostility not just towards their pursuers but also towards each other made them very real.

The world-building was outstanding. Mitchell described everything in a way that made it easy for me to see the scenes in my mind, and also made me thankful that I do not live in his futuristic world. A world without adults might seem fun to some, but not to me, especially if aliens would take over the minds of nineteen-or-so-year-olds and kids had to mature quickly if they wanted to make the most out of their lives before the Tone gets to them. It's just awful.

The idea of the artifacts also intrigued me. I'm sure it would be cool, although dangerous, to mix and match seemingly worthless items that produced magical effects such as controlling gravity and opening any locked door.

The ending was fulfilling, but it still left many questions unanswered. What was it with Holt's and Mira's pasts and what will happen to their future? What did the Assembly do with the adults? - because I don't think they just beckoned them with the Tone and then killed them off. And just how many Assemblies are there? But I am certain of two things. First, this is one story I would not want to live in, unless I want to die of exhaustion or have running as the last thing I'll do. Second, if you want a constant surge of action, you'll want to get Midnight City.

MY FAVORITE PART was learning just how much Zoey could do, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight City.

Finished Reading
October 12, 2012 – Shelved
October 12, 2012 – Shelved as: arc
October 12, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley
October 15, 2012 –
page 114
October 20, 2012 –
page 207
55.35% "So much action! <3"
January 30, 2013 – Shelved as: won
February 18, 2013 – Shelved as: signed
November 16, 2013 – Started Reading
November 16, 2013 –
page 102
27.27% "Re-reading before I start with The Severed Tower :3"
November 17, 2013 –
page 196
52.41% "Only now remembering just how long this book is :))"
November 19, 2013 – Finished Reading