Andrea's Reviews > The Blind Assassin

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

F 50x66
Jan 16, 2009

Read in December, 2008

I had read Blind Assassin in High School but had hardly remembered it. When one of my coworkers gave it to me as a gift I instantly jumped in.

I find the way she tells the story brilliant and consuming. I love the way the pieces start to all fit together as your read more and how I become so consumed by the twists that are somehow both expected and surprising.

There are, however, some downsides to the story. My dad often says "It's not so much that Atwood is a feminist, she just hates men" and, although I mostly disagree with this statement, it seemed that, in this book, there were a lot of things put upon the main character by the men in her life. Expectations that were not reasonable and, at times, maddening. Although I see a point to the inclusion of these things in the story, it seemed that Atwood was pushing it a little.

Additionally, though I always enjoy stories that are written in the format she has written her story, the author does have the challange of creating three stories that are equally captivating and interesting. Although I greatly loved all of the different parts as a whole, the story within a story within a story (the story told to the woman in the story "Blind Assassin" that is found within the greater book of The Blind Assassin) was one that I could simply not enjoy. Every time I got to those parts I would lose interest and struggle to keep reading. It was even more upsetting when it became clear that there was no real purpose, that I could find, for including this sci-fi story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Assassin.