Dave's Reviews > Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide

Programming Ruby by Dave Thomas

M 50x66

bookshelves: currently-reading

Actually I'm reading a downloaded PDF of the third edition that covers Ruby 1.9. This is my first exposure to this language; I like it. I'm happy to say goodbye to PHP (fuck that language, it is made of garbage).

Um...right, about the book: I like it, seems pretty clear and goes through the language using several different strategies. Seems to function well as both a beginner's guide, in depth tutorial, and reference: a rare feat. Even the Perl "camel book" (3rd edition in particular) doesn't really nail that, although it tries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Programming Ruby.

January 16, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 28, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank Dave, Since you are reading about Ruby, I thought you might be interested in this site I stumbled upon a few months ago: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
It's an introduction to Ruby on rails written in a sort-of comic book way. I've only read the first few chapters. I don't really have time to learn RoR right now, though I'd like to. It's worth a look-see, I think.

Dave Frank wrote: "Dave, Since you are reading about Ruby, I thought you might be interested in this site I stumbled upon a few months ago: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
It's an introduction to Ruby on rails written..."

I just saw this comment Frank! That site is really strange, I think another friend of mine pointed me to it a while ago, and I checked it out briefly but haven't seen it in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

I definitely recommend getting into Ruby when you've got a chance, I find it to be a really elegant, nice language. I think any programmer who spent a little time with it would find it appealing.

Thanks for the great weekend again, by the way, Suzanne and I both had a blast. :)