Katie's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

it was ok

I was surprised at how much I disliked this book. I couldn't read very much without putting it down in disgust. It just made me so mad. American and French society are so different that of COURSE American parents differ in their parenting styles. I don't think one journalist talking to a bunch of friends and neighbors can constitute a new parenting style or even be included as a parenting book.

I especially disliked the section on sleeping babies. To someone who has tried "la stinkin' Pause" for many a baby, and many a night, my babies never figured it out like her precious "Bean" did in 9 minutes. how annoying.

every chapter was just generalization after generalization - All french mothers do this and it works, and all american mothers do this and look how we hover.

The only take away that I have from this book is that only because we are parents doesn't mean that our lives have to be centered around our kids every second of every day. I already knew that. She says that French mothers are consistently "happier" than American parents. I could be cheery with my kids all the time too if they spent all day 5 days a week in day care. I could be perfectly patient and gorgeous for the remaining two hours of the day that they were awake.

that would be horrible, of course. I love staying at home with the kiddos and my kids don't have to be in daycare to be socialized. that is a horrible myth.

blah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.

Started Reading
October 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tracyesine (new)

Tracyesine I also hoped "le pause" would work. It didn't, at all. It was a total joke.