Scott Porch's Reviews > Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror

Against All Enemies by Richard A. Clarke

Jan 16, 2009

Read in May, 2004

Fucking scary. Clark had the curious fortune of heading counterterrorism in both the Clinton White House and the Bush White House. The latter was worse by a gigantic margin. The day after 9/11, Bush was pacing the Situation Room beneath the West Wing asking everyone whether they thought Iraq had anything to do with it. He certainly thought so, as did Paul Wolfowitz and Dick Cheney. Or not. It’s hard to tell the difference between the dishonest and the misguided in the Bush Administration. Either way, the White House has made a terrific mess of things.

Iraq was a horrible place to be sure, and there have been times in the last decade when invading was a seriously considered option. But six months into a war in Afghanistan wasn’t the most opportune time to divert resources to Iraq. Now we have a resurging Taliban in Afghanistan and a huge political vacuum in Iraq. Nice work, Dubya.

Perhaps the biggest travesty Clarke highlights is that Bush squandered an opportunity to make a positive and lasting impact on Islam’s own internal conflict between peaceful religion and the theocratic loony bin. Bush failed to seize the moral high ground by reaching out to moderate Islamists; instead, he sent a misguided message that America will vanquish the “evil-doers,” whether they’re in Iraq or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against All Enemies.

message 1: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki G It ANNOYED one of my brothers, who chooses to swear out allegiance to Bush Junior no matter HOW dumb the former president looks. Although curiously this brother hasn't said even one WORD since the Torture Report was released. We both voted for Bush and when I got upset about what Bush did in Iraq this brother called me a traitor in my loyalty and stopped talking to me. I didn't know families would stop talking to each other over something as silly as politics, but who wants to remain loyal to someone who lied to you about what he was planning to do after he got in office and had people tortured?

message 2: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Motier Vicki I'm from NY, moms side has 4 fire fighters, my fathers 10+ cops. At the time 3 fire and 4pd. The consensus is that 9/11 was 100% an inside job. And there are still fights over it. We lost my mom god father ray Downey highest ranking official killed that day, neighbors in Long Island and at least 6 close families fathers. So forget Iraq , 9/11 is the core of this bs and there's 0% chance Clarke would have stepped down if 9/11 didn't occur. He's sworn beyond secrecy, he's hinted (well more than hinted) that it was an inside job. Thats the key thing to look at when he uses "fake characters" and their motives. Put the pieces together and 9/11 will start looking like a huge painting of treason