Gayle's Reviews > The Cases That Haunt Us

The Cases That Haunt Us by John Edward Douglas

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed

Saw this book referenced in another that I read, and picked it up at the library since I absolutely love true crime mysteries.

I'm not certain what I expected exactly, but wasn't really impressed with most of the author's analysis of well-known crimes. Once I got to the last case/chapter, I got the feeling that the entire book was written just so that the author, who consulted with the Ramsey attorneys, could justify and re-argue his case for making the decisions that he made on the JonBenet Ramsey case. Maybe a "See, you have no right to judge me," sort of thing? I don't know, maybe not.

The fact is that so many pages were devoted to rehashing the facts of the cases that most people already know--like maybe he was trying to make a short story into a book--that the final "analysis" tends to be a let down! Just me, I guess...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cases That Haunt Us.

October 11, 2012 – Started Reading
October 11, 2012 – Shelved
November 12, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 10, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Better Eggs (new)

Better Eggs What I dislike about so many unsolved cases, in real life on the island as much as in the US or anywhere, is that the police get a bee their bonnet about who dunnit. Once they have decided they just stop investigating other leads, or dismiss them. When these cases come to court and the accused is found not guilty, the police just let it go. They "know" they were right and the judge and jury were wrong so that's that.

The US media are terrible for encouraging that. In the UK it is forbidden to publicise a case that is sub judice, Nancy Grace just couldn't make a living there! But NG tries and convicts people, always the ones the police have, and has everyone convinced and if the person is found not guilty it must be a crap prosecution case, a miscarriage of justice, a biased jury. No idea that they all actually built up the wrong person who might have been involved but who might not have actually done the crime.

Gayle "... the police get a bee their bonnet about who dunnit. Once they have decided they just stop investigating other leads, or dismiss them."

Absolutely agree with you there and believe that this is scarier that thinking about whether I'll be a victim of a crime!

Can't stand Nancy Grace. She's like a tiny bull dog that's been stepped on.

message 3: by Better Eggs (new)

Better Eggs I think she's more of a pit bull than a tiny bull dog. But yeah, she does have a squealy sort of stepped-on voice. But I do like her. I think she is hilarious. I don't like the NG imitations who take over her show when she isn't around, they are but pale imitations of pit bullishness.