Carrie's Reviews > Small Gods

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Jan 15, 2009

Read in March, 2006

Because my life had become extremely stressful at the time I was reading this book, I decided to throw all reading rules and responsibilities to the wind and to throw myself into some comfort reading. I put aside the two or three books I was in the middle of, and should be reading, and bumped back into the queue the book I am supposed to be reading for my book club, the two books I borrowed from my dear friend, and the ten other books stacked up in my to-be-read pile. Instead, I walked myself over to the bookshop, pulled out my credit card, and bought myself three Terry Pratchett books that I had never read before, and proceeded to devour one in less that twenty-four hours. There is a reason that one of my great joys in life (well, at least since they put the new Borders in the Logan Airport Delta terminal) is buying a Discworld novel to sit down and read on the plane. These things are eminently readable. They are page-turners. It is so comforting to fall into a book and its world and be consumed for a few hours, especially when your non-book hours are really stressful and not half as much fun as the good times in Ankh-Morpork. There is something so reassuring about well-written series books, when you get to know the world and the characters and follow them around for a while. It is why I love mysteries so much, I think. It's not the murder (though that is always interesting), it’s the friend you make in Poirot, or Homer Kelly, or Miss Marple.

Anyway, Small Gods is not exactly a Discworld novel. It takes place on the Discworld, but not in Ankh-Morpork, and beyond the appearance of DEATH (in caps, as usual), and a mention of the orangutan librarian and the Unseen University, the usual suspects are not in sight. It is a pretty good read, though. It takes place in Omnium, a fundamentalist nation ruled by a bunch of militants devotees to the god Om. Or rather, a bunch of militants who claim to be devoted to Om, but are actually pretty much interested in power and such - since when Om shows up, he finds only one true believer left. Om tries to reverse that (so he doesn't become a Small God, but can remain a powerful one), Brutha (the one true believer) tries to figure out right from wrong, and we follow this unlikely pair as they reinvent the nation, religion and all. Its hard to describe, but it's both enjoyable, and a discourse on the meaning of religion. Less madcap than some of his other books - more about something, but fun nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Gods.

04/24/2016 marked as: read