C.G. Drews's Reviews > Lament

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult, 5-star, reread, read-2018
Read 2 times. Last read October 15, 2018.

2nd Read | Oct 2018

I can't believe I haven't read this in six years ok wow. (And this reread was almost to the date?!) I'm such a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater and all her books just capture my heart. I definitely don't think Lament is her best work though, buuuut, I still love. Homicidal stabby faeries are actually my favourite thing. And just being drawn into this world of magic and mayhem was entrancing. Someone saveeee me. I love faerie stories way too much.

I also think the key with faerie stories is to know that faeries are mysterious and often irritating and like to play with their food. I kind of DID want to slap Luke between 1 and 9 times. And I do wish there'd been a bit more context before Dee's like "oh ya he was in my dream". And I gotta admit, there is a lot of abelist language that sucks (using schizophrenic as an insult).

But this was like a smol trip back down faerie memory lane 😍and I remember why I'm SO addicted to all of the Stiefvater books. It is magic.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

1st Read | Oct 2012

I say (unashamedly too) that I love Maggie Stiefvater’s writing (I also found out her name was pronounced: Steve-otter. Knowing how to pronounce it makes a difference, believe me). My first introduction was The Scorpio Races, and I swallowed that book with a blissful gulp. Then I found Maggie Stiefvater had written a trilogy about faeries and thyme and music. After finishing the first, Lament, I have decided that this author is a faerie writer. It’s impossible to resist the lure of her writing.

The style of Lament is beautiful, concise, emotional, with enough teen flairs to keep you down to earth (though I do worry that the book will be dated in a ten years or so, with her uses of “screw you” and “puke” and such). This is writing at a high point of fineness.

So the writing kept me clutching the book and gobbling the pages – not so much the plot. But Lament (obviously, when you consider the title) involves music! I am a music lover. And I have an infatuation with Irish and Celtic tunes. Is this book my style? Absolutely! I could hear the music all through the book. Truly. Not only that, but the writing is so sensory I could hear and taste and smell everything. The five senses reigned. It makes the novel unforgettable.

With flawless writing, powerful details, legends and myths, and the wonder of music, humour, and ingenious characters, Lament is a novel I will undoubtedly lay on my favourites list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.

October 10, 2012 – Shelved
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 15, 2018 – Started Reading
October 15, 2018 –
page 141
39.61% ""This is James. He's the number one piper in the state of Virginia this year."
"Soon to be number one. I hired a hit man."

omg I haven't read this since 2012 😱 I MISSED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. (Also coincidentally remember nothing so it's basically like reading a total new Stiefvater. 😂)"
October 15, 2018 –
page 241
67.7% "Dee: If we were a normal couple, we could do normal date things.
Luke: [smiling coyly] Liiiiike...
Dee: interpreting modern art!
Dee: practising music for 10 hours a day!
Luke: oh"
October 15, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
October 15, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
October 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by monet (new)

monet steve-otter? oh shit, i've been pronouncing it stife-ver in my head

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Lou STEVE OTTER??? Oh boy. I've been saying Stife-vader (as in darth vader). You're right, it makes all the difference. And it's SO CONFUSING.

Christina DeAngelis Hey Drews, I was wondering if you merely glossed over the schizophrenic joke the first time or did you find it of no significance or not offensive back then?

Julie Shott Guilty also! If I'm bored, I will pick this up and read over and over!

C.G. Drews Julie wrote: "Guilty also! If I'm bored, I will pick this up and read over and over!"

It's a beautiful book 😭

message 6: by Mikorin (new) - added it

Mikorin its.. its not pronounced as steve otter. theres a video of her saying it correctly. its a German family name or something

C.G. Drews Esther wrote: "its.. its not pronounced as steve otter. theres a video of her saying it correctly. its a German family name or something"

....yeah that's what i watched