Nicoal's Reviews > Laughing Without an Accent: Adventures of an Iranian American, at Home and Abroad

Laughing Without an Accent by Firoozeh Dumas

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, non-fiction

I gather from the last story in this collection that the point of this book is to bring cultures together, so I'm puzzled and a bit disappointed that the author chose to stereotype "Americans" throughout the book. Especially since the stories demonstrate that she and her family are about as suburban American as you can get. In fact, I'd say most of the stories would serve better as the plots for mildly amusing American sitcom episodes (e.g. an entire story about a comforter being an ugly color, trying to sell an oddly shaped potato on Ebay, etc.). Others seemed nothing more than typical "mommy blog" entries. I didn't laugh - with or without an accent.

I won't be recommending this one to anyone, but I do remember really enjoying the author's first book, "Funny in Farsi", so I'll keep suggesting that one to those looking for good memoir.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laughing Without an Accent.

January 15, 2009 – Shelved