Ayu Palar's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society

Jan 15, 2009

bookshelves: children-books
Recommended to Ayu by: Amanda
Recommended for: Dini, Tyas

Basically it’s about four gifted and talented children being secret agents. With the help from Mr. Benedict, a genious old man with narcolepsy, they go to an isolated island, in which a special institute is built. Then they struggle together to solve what’s actually going on in the institute. I won’t talk more about it because this will ruin the enjoyment of the reading. However, the way Stewart builds the characters is very noteworthy. No matter how extraordinary they are, these children are still children. They sulk, they cry, and they long for love from adults. Each of the children is also very loveable. Reynie, the main character, is an ordinary child with a non-average brain. Being gifted, Reynie often gets bullied by his friends in the orphanage. Sounds typical? Well perhaps, but Reynie is still an adorable main character. Next, there’s George ‘Sticky’ Washington. A bald-headed and spectacled boy who is very very smart. Yet he’s hiding a secret about his parents. Also there is Kate, a girl who always bring a bucket full of things. I thought her character would be oh-so-boring, a typical sporty girl. But then Kate became a sort of mother-figure to her friends. And oh wow, how can we forget Constance? A little girl who always gets cranky but has a special talent. One scene that I like is when the others find out why Constance is always sulky and stubborn. That’s surprising. The characters are the main reason why I love this book so much, yet Stewart also puts 1984-atmosphere in his first children’s book, which is good. The keywords are control and free will. Without patronizing, Stewart brings up those philosophical issues. But all in all, this book is enjoyable and exciting. That’s what’s important.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Dini Direkomen buat gue yah? Kalo gitu gue nunggu pinjeman aja hehehehe

Tyas @Dini udah ada bahasa Indonesia-nya...

Dini Teuteup ah mau pinjem bhs Inggrisnya ama Ayu ;P

Tyas @Dini Wetttsss... harus nunggu gue dulu kelar baca hahahahaha!

Dini Teuteup pengen minjem, hehehe.

message 6: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar baca dulu yang gue pinjemin hehehe.

Dini Eh iya belum dibaca *tersipu malu*

message 8: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Jadi pengen minjem juga. I mean, everybody's doin it. I just wanna be popular.

Dini You'll have to lend us your books first :D

message 10: by Rauf (new)

Rauf No problem ladies.

message 11: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar @Rauf: you wanna be popular? Marry a Kelantan princess xD

message 12: by Rauf (new)

Rauf I look dorky in their traditional clothes

Claire "One scene that I like is when the others find out why Constance is always sulky and stubborn."

That's interesting because this was the one part I really hated. To me it was ridiculous and just silly, and I didn't like it was just thrown in there with no explanation of how that was even possible!

message 14: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Hahaha. I think it's reasonable, because Constance is always sulky and easily gets sleepy. Why? Because she's basically still a baby :) a very smart baby, it is!

Claire I know that her personality 'fits' I suppose (personally I thought she was still just quite childish, 8yr olds can be like that too!), but it still doesn't make any sense. Why is she so big?! And, you know, it's still physically impossible. I am willing to suspend belief to an extent (I mean I love this story) but I want things that at least are explanined and logical, not just rushed in to wrap up a loose end. It just doesn't make sense. :/

message 16: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Is she big? o_O I thought it was described how tiny she is.

Claire She is small for her age, but not 3yr old tiny! (She is big, if you consider her age!) In the drawings, she is shorter than the others but not tiny.