Sara's Reviews > The Dead Girls Detective Agency

The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox

Oct 10, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, ghost-stories, young-adult
Read from October 07 to 09, 2012

After Charlotte is pushed onto the subway tracks and killed, she "wakes up" in an invisible hotel, where the guests/residents are all ghosts who can't move on to the next phase of death until they solve their own murders. Charlotte teams up with a few other ghosts in the hotel - all of whom have been there longer - to solve the case, learing "The Rules" of being a ghost along the way.

I loved the premise of this book. What a great idea, ghosts trying to catch their own killers. Charlotte was a fun main character and made a good narrator. I enjoyed following along with the case, trying to figure out who was guilty and why. The atmosphere in the book was surprisingly cheerful and peppy for the topic, and there wasn't much suspense, which could have rounded out the novel and made it more mysterious and haunting instead of just fun.

The antics of Charlotte and her sidekicks as they went about investigating the case were entertaining. Each character had a distinct personality and contributed in their own way to the case. There was some focus on the people that Charlotte left behind, but she mainly watched her boyfriend (whose personality changed drastically after Charlotte died) and old friends/rivals; her family members got very little page time. Since her family had little to do with the mystery aspect of the story, their characters weren't missed, but it did seem odd at times that Charlotte did not check in on her family members, despite narrating about missing them. This may have been done to keep the story upbeat instead of too sad.

Although there were little things I would have changed about the book, the main thing being adding more suspense to it, I thought the book was a very entertaining read overall. The idea behind the book was excellent, and the ending seemed to pave the way for future books in a series. If this is the case, I'm sure I'll read more; the book was fun and I hope the mysteries can only get better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Girls Detective Agency.