jenjn79's Reviews > Lucky Break

Lucky Break by Carly Phillips

liked it
bookshelves: author-carly-phillips, series-lucky, 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-contemporary, published-2009, stars-3
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series

I really enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, so I had high hopes for the 3rd and final book. And though this book was in no way terrible or even particularly bad, I did find it to be a bit disappointing. I was expecting something better.

Series Note: this is the 3rd and last book in Phillips's Lucky trilogy. Though you may possibly be able to read this book on its own and understand enough, I'd recommend reading the entire trilogy in order. There's a lot of background and continuing issues you'd miss if you didn't.

Summary: Jason Corwin is the last of the single males of his generation. His two cousins Mike and Derek have bucked the curse - the one that said any Corwin male who falls in love is doomed to lose it and any fortune he might have - and have married their true loves. Jason doesn't particularly focus too much on the curse, especially right now when his life is in shambles. His aspiration to become and Olympic snowboarder is over due to a woman who snuck a banned substance to him and caused him to test positive and be kicked out of the sport. So now he is back home, making due as a general contractor and not sure where his life is going.

Then Lauren Perkins (ancestor to the Perkins who cast the Corwin Curse) comes back to town. Years ago the two had had a teenage dalliance before Lauren's grandmother forced her to leave town (the same grandmother who was the blackmailing, conniving mayor in the previous books). Now Lauren is back to deal with the fallout of her grandmother's death, and her sister's criminal actions and subsequent mental breakdown. The last thing she expected to find was Jason Corwin and the chemistry that still drew them together.

Lauren hires Jason to help fix up her grandmother's house before she sells it and has every intention of keeping her distance from him, but the two can't keep their hands off each other. Lauren gives in, but it's only temporary, she's leaving town as soon as the house is dealt with. But then her house is vandalized, set on fire, and everything gets complicated, including her feelings. These two have a lot to work through before they can deal with their feelings for each other.

Review: I was rather looking forward to reading Jason's story after the previous books introduced him and the scandal he was facing. I thought his story was going to be really interesting and I wanted to see how he worked things out in his life. But after reading this book I was rather disappointed in how...neglected...Jason was in this story. Plus, on the whole, I felt the storyline was rather cliched.

When I realized what direction Phillips was going with this story - which was of a Corwin (suffering from the Corwin Curse) falling for a Perkins (whose ancestor started the curse - I kinda wanted to role my eyes because it's such an utterly predictable, cliched and typical storyline. For me, the been-there-done-that feeling of the story hook overrode any hmmm-isn't-that-interesting factor of a Corwin and a Perkins getting together. I would rather have had something more unique than the Perkins/Corwin hook-up. Just too typical. It's the type of storyline that's fairly common in romance books and it bored me as I read the story.

I also, for whatever reason, just couldn't really get into Lauren's storyline. I found it rather dull to read about how she's trying to fix up that house, how she's short on money, how she's neglected by her family, how she's trying to stay loyal to her whacko sister, how she's afraid of mice, etc etc etc. It was just a lackluster story aspect...at least for me.

I was much more interested in Jason and his situation. And unfortunately, he always seemed to come in second to Lauren in this book. I didn't think his career situation and the direction of his life was given nearly as much attention in the book as it should have gotten. It all seemed to be about Lauren, her situation, and and about Jason's "unrequited" feelings for her. I would have been much more interested in the book if Jason issue's had gotten equal time to Lauren's.

But despite the way those things bothered me, I didn't hate the book. They just made it an average read and a little disappointed. The romance was pretty good, had a bit of steamy-ness. I liked the cat, and the parts with the Corwin family. And probably a few other things. I just didn't feel as engrossed in this story as I did the first two. But it was still worth reading to close out the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Break.

January 15, 2009 – Shelved
February 3, 2009 – Shelved as: author-carly-phillips
October 3, 2009 – Shelved as: series-lucky
Started Reading
October 10, 2009 –
page 378
100.0% "Eh, not my favorite of the series by far. But not bad either. Review to come tomorrow."
October 10, 2009 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: info-full
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: genre-romance-contemporary
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: published-2009
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: stars-3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane I just can't seem to get into Carly Phillips books, they tend not to stand out with their stories
Great Review Isis

message 2: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review Isis! I still have to read the first two in this series to see if I'll get this one.:)

jenjn79 Thanks!