Amanda's Reviews > Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire

Mar 26, 2007

did not like it
Recommended for: ?

This is by far the least appealing and satisfying of the Maguire fairy tales I've read. I'm not really sure where to begin! I was all set to devour this retelling of Snow White, set within a beautiful Italian landscape and with the wicked "stepmother" cast as an untraditional outcast of royalty. (Maguire does possess a gift for understanding the prevalence of politics these stories imply.) However, the rest was slow going. Unfortunately, I will have to re-read it to give more specific reasons for disliking it. (Yes, it's that unremarkable.) All I remember was persevering to the end because of my stubborn insistence of finishing things I start, and then regretting it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror Mirror.

Started Reading
January 1, 2004 – Finished Reading
March 26, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by Aline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Aline Bahamondez Yeah, well, let me tell you: DON'T READ "LOST." I'm not even sure what that whole novel was about, but it's by far Maguire's worst. It makes "Mirror Mirror" look like a masterpiece.

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Amanda Thanks for the warning!

message 3: by Omni (new) - rated it 1 star

Omni "All I remember was persevering to the end because of my stubborn insistence of finishing things I start, and then regretting it."

ditto, ive been reading this for 4 months just to finish it. And boy am i sorry i did, all those wasted hours!

Elizabeth La Lettrice I, too, must finish things I start - and I have started this book THREE times since I bought it in 2004 and am just now finished. So not impressed!

Brady Cameron Likewise! The only reason I finished this one is because I started it.