Bai's Reviews > Claus: Legend of the Fat Man

Claus by Tony Bertauski

7205012

bookshelves: favorites

We have all grown up with stories of Christmas, of Santa coming to give us treats at the dead of the night, Rudolph's nose leading the way - but how many of us have seen, or read about the evolution of this legend?

Tony Bertauski's novel gives a whole new take on the children's fantasy. And I loved it!

The main theme
The Santa family, consisting of Nick Santa, his wife Jessica and their son Jon are left to die in the frigid temperatures of the North Pole. They have little hope left, and they only wish to end their adventure in the arms of each other. Little do they know, their adventures are only beginning...

Part fantasy, part sci-fi, Claus is an unique mix between children's fancy, and an adult's concerns. Riddled with issues like family, loss, regret and loneliness, it is more than just a story of a bad villain and the good hero.

It is a story about families, one lost in the wilderness, one torn apart by war and one broken at the seam because each member was too busy to see beyond their own means.

Writing Style
Tony's writing has always been one of my favourite aspects about his books. It an effortless blend of contrasting elements, a flawless storytelling.

Claus is set against the backdrop of a war, not a human war of great proportions, but a war nonetheless. But life goes on, and not everything is desolate. the little scenes of humour, the love shining through remind of those. And it is the execution of these scenes that tell us how great a storyteller the author is.

And finally we come to the Claus part. You know, I really don't want to comment on this as it will give away the fun! I loved reading the novel and suddenly coming up with a tiny detail that reminded me of all the stories I had heard as a child!

Conclusion
The author promised us a novel which would give us a completely new perspective on the legend...and he delivered beautifully. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good book. Trust me, you'll not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claus.

October 9, 2012 – Shelved