Isblue's Reviews > Boy's Life

Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon

Jan 15, 2009

bookshelves: fiction

** spoiler alert ** I love this book because it relates the magic and the joy of childhood and also accepts there are dark and terrible things that are part of being a child. Imagination has power and nothing says it better than the way the boys celebrate the start of summer.

"Let's go then! Summer's started." Ben began to run around the edges fo fthe clearing in a wide circle, with Thumper loping along behind. I followed him, Rebel weaving in and out of my track. Johnny and Davy Ray started running behind me, their dogs racing bacnd and forth across the clearing and tusseling with each other.

We ran faster and faster. The wind was first in our faces and then at our backs. We ran around the clearing on our sturdy young legs, the wind speaking through the pines and oaks that rimmed our playground. "Faster!" Johnny shouted, limping just a little on his clubfoot. "Gotta go faster."

We kept going, fighting the wind and then flying before it. The dogs ran beside us, barking with the sheer happiness of movement. The sun sparkled on the Tecumseh River, the sky was clear azure, and summer's heat bloomed in our lungs.

McCammon does a wonderful job of establishing trust in the characters, building tension and connecting the reader to the story and the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy's Life.