Annie's Reviews > Slave to Sensation

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

Jan 15, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009

This is the kind of book that makes me want to taunt people in the 'Literature' section of Borders by pointing my judgemental finger at them and saying 'My book's better than your book! Na na na na na na.' Granted that may not be the way to convert sceptics but me being handcuffed in a bookstore might put a spotlight on a genre Aussies should be proud to read.

Slave to Sensation embodies all that makes a Romance novel so utterly, gratuitously satisfying. It's intelligent, high-concept fiction coloured by the deep understanding of the emotions that make us all human and I can't sing its praises enough. Having said that, this is a paranormal romance and since we all have preferences, I'll gladly let you know why I loved it.

I haven't read very many paranormal romances but I was extraordinarily impressed with the Psy-net concept. It's fascinating, well-developed and creates more than enough guts to power the plot along at high speed. Even if you removed the romance element from this book, you would still have a concept interesting enough to create a science-fiction novel.

But after a few pages of the hero, you wouldn't want to remove the romance element of the story. Lucas really is quite divine. But then again, I always was a sucker for the alpha hero. And as the Alpha of a pack of changelings, Lucas is as possessive, sexual, dominant and masculine as they get.

Lucky Sasha gives as good as she gets. She is a heroine you find yourself slipping into the mind of easily. There were so many things about her that I loved but I don't want to give away any secrets. She is a character you gladly observe developing throughout the course of the novel.

The other thing that Romances novels tend to do really well is develop interesting minor characters. I will gladly read about any of the cast of the changeling-psy world...actually I don't think I'll be able to stop myself.

And yes, I whole-heartedly agree with the Empress...I want my own panther with skin-privileges ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave to Sensation.

01/15/2009 page 1
01/25/2009 page 100
29.94% "Loving it!"
01/27/2009 page 237
70.96% "One of the best romances ever :-)"
show 1 hidden update…