Auntee's Reviews > On Dublin Street

On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotic-romance, 2012_reads, e-books, for_my_kindle, made_me_cry, keepers
Recommended to Auntee by: KarLynP, Blacky, Kristen, and many others
Recommended for: Fans of Kristen Ashley, I know you'll love this; any romance fans who like a good, steamy story
Read 2 times. Last read October 10, 2012 to October 13, 2012.

This book has ruined me for others...I haven't been able to read anything since.

Until then...Braden...

Photobucket

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? There's over 1,500!! reviews for this book, the author has just signed a 7-figure, 2 paperback book deal with a major publisher, sold 150,000 downloads of this self-published book in one month, and I'll bet movie rights might be next. So I doubt my little review will make much difference in its success...but I'll add my 2-cents anyway. I loved this book! In fact, I fear it's ruined me for all others (temporarily, of course) since I haven't picked up another book in over a week. That's how caught up I am (still) in this one!

The characters, the story, the setting, the plot, and OMG the heat in this one...everything worked for me. I was totally absorbed in it and did...not...want..it...to...end! The story is told in 1st person (not my favorite, but it worked) from the heroine's (Joss/Jocelyn Butler) POV (sure wished we could hear from the hero, though). Joss is snarky, rude at times, stubborn, and self-contained, with a tough outer shell trying desperately to hide a soft and sweet inside, and very, very vulnerable. It takes a while to appreciate her in this book, but keep an open mind because she's young (22) and has been through a lot. She had a major upheaval in her life at age 14, and she hasn't really dealt with it for 8 years. She's 22 now, fresh out of college in Edinburgh, Scotland (she's half American, half Scottish) working in a bar part time while she's trying to write a novel. The story starts with her moving into a beautifully renovated apartment (on Dublin Street) that she will be sharing with a friendly young blonde (Ellie Carmichael) who is working on her PhD. Ellie has a half-brother, Braden (a very successful, sexy real estate developer), who is very devoted to her (I loved their brother-sister relationship). Braden and Joss had shared a cab (where all kinds of sparks flew) once and when Joss finds out that the man she dubbed "the Suit" in her mind is her flatmate's brother!, and she will be seeing a lot of him in the future, well that just opens up a lot of problems for Joss. Joss is determined to keep herself closed off from people. She wants to be acquaintances rather than "friends", doesn't want to share anything about herself or her painful past, and lord knows she's not looking for a relationship. But Ellie and Braden have other ideas...

"Oh Joss, what am I going to do with you..."
Photobucket
I won't say any more about the plot, except to say there's something for everyone. I laughed, I cried, I sighed, I swooned... I loved the whole atmosphere surrounding the book, and all the little details the author provided. She doesn't skimp on describing anything--whether it's Ellie's and Joss's apartment or the clothes they are wearing or the TV shows they are watching or the places they visit or their circle of friends--everything is told in such a way that you can easily visualize it. And the physical descriptions of the characters? Here's an example:

For Braden:
The Suit wasn't classically handsome, but there was a twinkle in his eye and curl to the corner of his sensual mouth that, together with the rest of the package, oozed sex appeal. Perhaps in his late twenties or early thirties, I could tell from the lines of the extremely well-tailored, expensive silver-grey suit that he wore, that the Suit worked out. He sat with the ease of a fit guy, his stomach iron flat under the waistcoat and white shirt. His pale blue eyes seemed bemused beneath their long lashes, and for the life of me I couldn't get over the fact that he had dark hair.
I preferred blondes. Always had.
Yet none of them had ever made my lower belly squeeze with lust at first sight of them. A strong masculine face stared into mine--sharp jaw-line, a cleft chin, wide cheekbones, and a roman nose. Dark stubble shadowed his cheeks, and his hair was kind of messy. Altogether, his rugged unkemptness seemed at odds with the stylish designer suit.

Braden...

Joss...
Photobucket

Braden with his sister Ellie...
Photobucket

Speaking of Braden...OMG what a romance hero! Quite honestly he makes the whole book. He's everything you want in a romance hero--sexy, successful, funny, devoted to his family, a little overprotective with those he loves, a little cocky (he does have a healthy ego), intense, generous, understanding, bold...and one sexy, persistent dirty-talkin' ("I don't know what I like better..." he mused, stroking his chin in teasing contemplation. "...the naked you, or you in that tank top. D's right?") fantastic lover (oh yowza, their first time!) He was just perfect for Jocelyn (as he insisted on calling her); I felt that he really understood her and was patient enough with her while she worked out all the stuff she was going through. Yes, at times I got frustrated with her and wondered why Braden didn't just give up on her (while hoping that he didn't!) but he hung in there, knowing when to push her and when to ease up, even though at times she made it very tough on him. But their HEA was soooo worth it...getting there was a real struggle sometimes but filled with many, many hot (and increasingly intimate) times which made it so much sweeter.

Braden and Joss kiss...
Photobucket
Now, anyone on the fence, let me try to convince you. If you like a fully developed story, with plenty of hot, sexy, steamy scenes that are crucial to the plot (and not just added in to titillate) then this is for you. If you like a complicated, vulnerable heroine who finally learns that it's okay to open up and let people inside, who's ready to put the past behind her and face the promising future that she could have, then this one's for you. If you like a good cry in your reads (no spoilers but you will tear up a time or two), then this is for you. If you like a well-thought out romance, where everything is not always perfect, then this is for you. And finally, if you like a to-die-for-hero, one that you wish could be yours, then by all means this is your book. I can honestly say that Braden Carmichael is one of my all-time-favorite romance heroes, and that this book, On Dublin Street, is one of the best books I've read in 2012. Highly recommended 5+ stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Dublin Street.

Quotes Auntee Liked

Samantha Young
“You’re good with the words, I’ll give you that.”
“I’m good with my hands. Will you let me give you that?”
Samantha Young, On Dublin Street

October 10, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012_reads
October 10, 2012 – Shelved as: e-books
October 10, 2012 – Shelved as: for_my_kindle
October 10, 2012 –
0.0% "Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one..."
October 11, 2012 –
34.0% "I'm ready for a little "action". Hope Dr. Pritchard can help get Joss's head on straight..."
October 13, 2012 –
94.0% "Have to stop reading...but I dont want to! Waaaah..\n Certainly living up to all the hype.:)"
October 13, 2012 –
100.0% "Fan-tas-tic!\n Review coming..."
October 13, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 18, 2012 – Shelved as: made_me_cry
October 18, 2012 – Shelved as: keepers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)

Tammy Looking forward to your review on this one!

Auntee Trying to get my thoughts in order and really do it justice. Might be impossible though.:)

Aleasha Definitley looking forward to your review, i'm unsure whether to add to my kindle collection! :)

Auntee Oh don't wait, Aleasha! I can definitely recommend it!:)

Aleasha Lovely, just downloaded! Thanks Auntee :)

Auntee Enjoy!

message 7: by Sieni (new)

Sieni A.M. hilarious! i loved it too :)

message 8: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Gandy... <3

Pamela(AllHoney) I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to push the buy button. I think you talked me into it ☺

Auntee Buy, buy, BUY!:D (You won't be sorry)

message 12: by Blacky *Romance Addict* (last edited Oct 18, 2012 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blacky *Romance Addict* Wonderful review! And yes, Braden really makes the whole book. I don't know if I would've loved it so much if not for him. He's just perfect.

message 13: by Kristen (last edited Oct 18, 2012 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen Fantastic review, Auntee. It's been weeks and I'm still thinking about this book. I agree, it's an excellent story. In fact, I originally gave the book 4 to 41/2 stars but I'm changing my rating to 5 stars. I struggled with the heroine but understood her. If a book has the ability to keep me thinking about it weeks later, it deserves 5 stars. Nicely done. I love the pics.

message 14: by Keri (new) - added it

Keri Great review Auntee. I have been on the fence about this one, but think I will pick it up.

Elizabeth (Liz) Great review, Auntee!! I loved this one as well, and I'm so pleased you did, too!

message 16: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Great review, Auntee!

Auntee Blacky wrote: "Wonderful review! And yes, Braden really makes the whole book. I don't know if I would've loved it so much if not for him. He's just perfect."

Thanks Blacky--and yes, it definitely is Braden's book.:)

Auntee Kristen wrote: "Fantastic review, Auntee. It's been weeks and I'm still thinking about this book. I agree, it's an excellent story. In fact, I originally gave the book 4 to 41/2 stars but I'm changing my rating to..."

Thanks Kristen.:)

"If a book has the ability to keep me thinking about it weeks later, it deserves 5 stars."
Totally agree with that thinking.:)

Auntee Thanks Keri, Elizabeth, and Jessica!

Hope you enjoy it, Keri.:)

Anne OK Fantastic review! I've heard lots of good stuff on this one and I can't wait to read it for myself.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I saw this book at Netgalley today and was very surprised. It sure was snapped up quick! :o)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Fabulous review Auntee!! Makes me want to reread this book like right now!! Perfect casting on the photos too.

Everlaine (BookCaptain) I can't wait to begin this book. Sounds really good. And good luck with your book hungover, I love when you get so sucked into a world it takes some time to make your way out ;)

message 24: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina Fantastic review, I am moving it up my my to-read shelf!

message 25: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina Fantastic review, I am moving it up my my to-read shelf!

Mareli Wow! What an enthusiastic review! COngratulations, Auntee! (BTW you had me at the first pic! LOL)

Auntee Thanks Anne--it's a winner!:)

Auntee Anna wrote: "I saw this book at Netgalley today and was very surprised. It sure was snapped up quick! :o)"

I saw it too. Now there's going to be a lot of lucky people who can read it for free!

It still was some of the best money I've spent on a book.:)

Auntee Dorsey wrote: "Fabulous review Auntee!! Makes me want to reread this book like right now!! Perfect casting on the photos too."

Thanks Dorsey!
It's always fun to do the 'casting'.;)

Auntee Everlaine wrote: "I can't wait to begin this book. Sounds really good. And good luck with your book hungover, I love when you get so sucked into a world it takes some time to make your way out ;)"

Thanks Everlaine, I'm going to attempt another book today.;)

Auntee Thanks Gina--that's some good reading waiting for you.:)

Auntee Mareli wrote: "Wow! What an enthusiastic review! COngratulations, Auntee! (BTW you had me at the first pic! LOL)"

Thanks Mareli--hard to go wrong with Gandy!;)

message 33: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Amazing review Auntee! I swear I will read this soon!

Kelly22 Stunning review, Auntee! I feel like re-reading it and not to mention superb casting! Good job well done!

Auntee Thanks Melissa, I know you would love this one!

Auntee Thanks Kelly, love to do the casting!:)

KindleRomance Reviews Beautiful review Auntee! I always love your two cents!

Auntee Thanks Kris!:D

message 39: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Valentine Holy crap! You just totally made me go buy this book!! :D

Auntee OOoh, I hope you love it!:)

Lynsey A Well, so many of my goodreads friends enjoyed this book I had to get it on my Kindle. :) Dang that 1-Click button on Amazon! Ha ha

Auntee Join the party, Lynsey!:)
I do hope you like it.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) Okay, I am convinced. I've been dithering over adding this because people keep saying its name in the same sentence as 50 shades (I'm guessing just because it's very sexy? ) but I finally caved after reading your (awesome) review:)

Steamywindows♥♫ Fantastic review Auntee, I haven't read it yet, but it is on my TBR list (can't call it a pile anymore can I?) but you have removed any doubts I had...interesting to go from self published to a contract, eh?

Auntee Lynsey wrote: "Okay, I am convinced. I've been dithering over adding this because people keep saying its name in the same sentence as 50 shades (I'm guessing just because it's very sexy? ) but I finally caved aft..."

Don't know if I'd compare it to 50 Shades (haven't read it but doesn't seem like they're comparable except for the heat factor) but it has stayed with me so long that I can't get interested in reading another book yet!

Auntee Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Fantastic review Auntee, I haven't read it yet, but it is on my TBR list (can't call it a pile anymore can I?) but you have removed any doubts I had...interesting to go from self published to a con..."

Thanks Steamy!
Glad I could remove those pesky doubts.;)She sure hit the jackpot though--deservedly so!

Anna (Bananas) The Gandy pics alone make me want to read this!

Tammy Oh wow! The fact that this book has ruined you for all others has heightened my curiosity. Can't wait to read it!

Auntee Seriously, I haven't read anything since finishing this.:(

Tammy Auntee wrote: "Seriously, I haven't read anything since finishing this.:("

I can sympathize! That's kind of how I felt after reading this one. On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

« previous 1 3